free website stats program Engine Knock at Idle Only | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine Knock at Idle Only

The only time I've seen it is pretty much after a brand new rebuild (just slightly cheaper than a new engine, done so the maint. HD Maintenance insurance company could deny half of the damage as normal wear and tear), performed by a dealer. I suggested that she take her scoot and ride it right into the service dept. office, for effect. It seems to me that it was not properly torqued and locktite'd, and could have flat out killed her if it had come out and ratttled around in there before she got stopped. At the very least I would expect that it would have chewed up teh inside of her primary cover pretty good. This was only a week or two ago. It sure sounded like described by the OP. I told the owner to park it, but she decided to ride it on home. Good thing when she shut it down at my place, the starter would (or could) not engage, and she had to have it picked up and carried to the dealership. She's pretty stubborn.

What I have always heard was that most folks have a terrible time getting them to come loose, not getting them to stay tight. Maybe Chopper has some input in this matter?!?

Enjoy,
Rich P

After using Loctite products for years & years on all sorts of various projects, there is no doubt that company's products are incredible if applied correctly.

I agree with you. Apply Loctite 271 to CLEAN DRY threads, that includes the blind crankshaft threads and not just the bolt,, torque it down and that bolt is just not going to fall out on it's own.

As a matter of fact, I think your going to have a hard time getting it out in the future.

I have witnessed mechanics apply Loctite to oily threads that were not clean. In cases like that I would not expect the product to work very well, if at all.

Back