free website stats program engine keeps turning off | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

engine keeps turning off

Well it has been a long weekend of trial and error, but succesful my bike is running touch wood, I hope I didn't just jinx myself. the coil cover or should I say coils were the culprit, after trying almost everything I could think of three diferent sets of wires, i left te coil cover off and went for a ride no stalling? thought finnaly had it solved put cover back on stalled took cover off again no stalling. cant seem to find were it is arching but checked it thourougly put cover back on engine stalls again? I rode the bike around town all day today about 200 miles no problems, the bike just don't look rite without the cover so I will order a knew coil monday, or to save money I might just try to rap the coil in electrical tape and try it one more time.

Well it has been a long weekend of trial and error, but succesful my bike is running touch wood, I hope I didn't just jinx myself. the coil cover or should I say coils were the culprit, after trying almost everything I could think of three diferent sets of wires, i left te coil cover off and went for a ride no stalling? thought finnaly had it solved put cover back on stalled took cover off again no stalling. cant seem to find were it is arching but checked it thourougly put cover back on engine stalls again? I rode the bike around town all day today about 200 miles no problems, the bike just don't look rite without the cover so I will order a knew coil monday, or to save money I might just try to rap the coil in electrical tape and try it one more time.

Excellent! Now that you mentioned that, it triggered a memory for me. My '91 bike had a similar situation. The problem on my bike was at one of the rubber boots that fit over the coil plug where the wire plugs in. The cover had cut through the rubber allowing the bit of the coil wire end that extended out of the plug to ground on the cover!! Check for something like that. I had to really flex the boot to see the split because it was towards the bottom of the wire and hard to see anyway!

TQ

Always wondered about the fancy "chrome" coil covers and the metal braid ignition wires as well for that very reason ("leakage path causing intermittant cutout of ignition"), it was one of those little troubleshooting "tricks" my auto shop teacher did to me using a lead pencil and marking a path from the metal shell to the nib under the spark plug cap...found it but not without going through my whole bag of tricks. :devil

Having somewhat the same problem with my 95 four glide. There was a recall on some for the ignition switch adding a relay and a new circuit breaker. seems they have had lots of problems with the switches. Let you know if I figure mine out.

Ive foud a lot of electrical problems like arcing by checking it at night dark out u can easily see the arc and hone in on the problem and when I check a plug wire with an ohm meter I bend the wire to see if it changes the reading if it does bye bye to that wire sometimes the naked eye doesnt tell u the whole story

Glad you got it repaired. It is usually something small or simple.
Just always remember K I S S "Keep it simple stupid" :)

Duner; 1st off, thank you for posting your findings. I like knowing what the solution to all the problems are. I might even remember one for future use. I have a '92 FXD that I put aftermarket Dynatek coils on. They are slightly larger, so to prevent arcing I cut a piece of truck inner tube and put it over the coils. It's not noticible with the cover on, been there for about 15 years now.

Back