free website stats program Engine Identification | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine Identification

Nick371

I grabbed this engine at an estate sale the lady had no info on it can some one point me in the direction of finding info off of just block number 20230524_223915.jpg

I find no reference to that "JBB" engine number in my HD identifier book. Replacement engine numbers start with a "P". Giving us a photo of the complete engine will enable us to tell you the family & model of your engine. The dot matrix or pin stamping style does fit HD's serial number stamping style, not the only ones that do it though.

It is a Twin Cam counterbalanced (TC-B) engine/trans from the Softail line. You can tell it's a "B" engine by the horizontal bolt hole for the front motor mount (A's are vertical). Being a TC, it's 1999 or up. I'm not sharp on the year-to-year changes to make visual confirmation to being 88/96/103, etc. size. I will pursue my book later and try to find that JBB ##### serial number. Odd to me is that it is a replacement engine, that is "used", so it must have also failed? I did find a mention that says HD did sell complete engine trans. assemblies (not as "replacement", that came with their own VIN and MSO (mfg. statement of origin) so that a motorcycle could be built and titled with said engine. The only example of an engine number was "BKLK" followed by numbers in the 90000 sequence ie, BKLK9123456. I would guess based on your photos and the stamping style that it came from the HD factory. I hope this helps you. I DID later look thru my book and added the last lines about complete engine availability.

Back