free website stats program Engine Heat on CVO Ultra Classic | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine Heat on CVO Ultra Classic

I recently purchased a CVO screaming eagle ultra classic (2007) with 900 miles on it.

I've been told that excessive heat off the engine will make riding unbearable in warm months. Since my other ride
has been a 95" road king classic I wonder how much hotter will it be should I install an engine heat shield before I take a trip down south at the end of March.

I'm open for suggestions...should I leave it alone or take measures before my trip. Also are there any alternatives
to the heat deflectors?

Tony Glide

I recently purchased a CVO screaming eagle ultra classic (2007) with 900 miles on it.

I've been told that excessive heat off the engine will make riding unbearable in warm months. Since my other ride
has been a 95" road king classic I wonder how much hotter will it be should I install an engine heat shield before I take a trip down south at the end of March.

I'm open for suggestions...should I leave it alone or take measures before my trip. Also are there any alternatives
to the heat deflectors?

Tony Glide

I have a 2008 FLHT with a SE 110 that I bought last August and have no probs with the heat and don't use gaurds. When I bought it in August temps were mid to high 90's. Have heard some have had problems with heat so maybe has to do with your stature and how you sit the bike not sure. But if your worried about it put em on better safe than sorry and one less thing to think about as you enjoy your trip :)

Tony

The newer bikes do run hotter than the bikes of past because of the larger engines and the EPA regs. The best thing you can do to lower the heat is some fuel management whether it's a TFI or a SERT that is probably the most expensive but by far the best. This along with a stage 1 and possibly some mufflers to move the fuel through the motor would help greatly.

The SERT would require some dyno time but it remaps the ECM to richen the mixture and also remap the timing. The TFI only deals with fuel but it works for me at quite a bit less money. The TFI should run you about $250 and you can do it yourself. The SERT would be closer to $800-$900 by the time the dyno pulls are done to set it up but it would return much more and run cooler also. Problem with the SERT is a tuner that knows what they are doing and not just downloading a canned map and just a little tweaking. You want a full custom map for your bike which would take about 5 runs on the dyno.

Have you looked through this forum yet for some ideas?

Diagnostics, Alarms/Security, and Fuel Injection Related. - Harley Davidson Community

On my 07 Road King I'm running stage 1 with factory EFI download, synthetic oil, and oil cooler. Still hot but bearable in all but south florida stop and go traffic.

Darn I can't remember who I bought my shields from, but, I would not attmept to go without them on my Ultra. The one I got look like leather and blend with the seat. Sorry I can't remember who I ordered them from, it however, was on line.

Darn I can't remember who I bought my shields from, but, I would not attmept to go without them on my Ultra. The one I got look like leather and blend with the seat. Sorry I can't remember who I ordered them from, it however, was on line.

Could it have been these?

index.html

Kuryakyn makes them to but the link above is a better pair.

Could it have been these?

index.html

I just ordered some of those with the pearl jeweled. Should go good with my white pearl paint. When I was out today even though it was 53 degrees out, I could really feel the heat coming up from the engine when we stopped for a train. I thought I better get something before summer!

Hi Tony,
I agree with glider, do the fuel manegment thing it does work but mainly you have to seperate the exhaust coming out from the engine to be seperate so basicly change the stock exhaust , i recomend V & H pipes and muflers.
Now to realy get less heat on your CVO electra glide you need to remove the left and right front fenders that are on the engine guard at least for summer.

Back