free website stats program Engine Guard? | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine Guard?

Mueller

Does an engine guard provide any real function other than chrome and looks? Was wondering if pegs on the engine guard would be worth the application for comfort while riding or do they pose a problem on emergency braking as a rider would have to reposition quickly?

Thanks

Mueller

They offer fairly good protection at low speeds, more so on a sportster than a bagger because of weight. I had a 5 mph get off on my bagger, and they helped prevent some body damage, but sacraficed themselves in the process. I only use my highway pegs about 10 minutes out of an hour on a trip, just to relieve my posterior a bit, but I'm not tall either. The cool guys you see with their feet up on them in town are flirting with danger, IMO.

Engine guards are a big plus and I use them and highway pegs. They offer protection from that dreaded tip over, and are very handy if riding for long periods of time on the super slab to avoid cramps and long range discomfort, even on a Sporty! :D

SaddleView.jpg

Sure does save the paint when you drop it in a parking lot or such. I've plenty of experience with that.

I'm w/NEWHD74FAN on this one. When I had/rode my 05 XL1200C, there were many times I needed to stretch the legs while riding & wished I had guards w/pegs. You'll use more for "comfort" on longer trips, but nice "protection" if/when you accidentally tip. Hope no-one ever needs to use for the latter mode.

I saw a nice set online @ Lindby Custom Inc. | Linbar | Twinbar | Multibar | Engine Guard | Highway Peg | Highway Bar | Crash Bar | Crash Bars | Crash Guards | Crash Guard | Flip Down Peg | Harley Davidson | Indian | Suzuki | Victory | Yamaha | Honda | Kawasaki & the multi-bar is on sale for $199.95. Cheers!

Here's one you may have never heard? my sporty has mid controls. on longer trips to stretch the legs, sometimes I prop my sitter back up on the passenger pillion. This allows my legs to stretch down to the mid controls. of course the stretching of the legs gives way to a back that seems to have to hunch over like a non-cruiser. :small3d023:

Ngjandm has a good point for the longer legged crowd, but coming from the sport riding crowd, I have been know to use the passenger pegs on occasion for rare nostalgic moments I want that tucked in "fetal position" , pin my ears back rice burning daze feel...:D

Rider-n-Pillion_Mods-1.jpg

Last edited:
After my Streetbob got Knocked over I put a n engine guard on it gives me another place to stretch my legs and hopefully it wont get knocked over again

Haven't had any experience with my Road Glide yet (knock on wood) but did on my Goldwing. Went down at about 5 miles an hour and slid a few feet on the crash guards. The ends of the guards were scratched but absolutely no other damage to the bike. Also had my Honda Sabre fall over more than once when I was first learning to ride. The engine guard that I put on saved the bike from any scratches.

I rode a friend's Dyna that didn't have engine guards and it made me nervous. All of my bikes either came with engine guards or I have added them.

Back