free website stats program Engine doing the cha cha | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine doing the cha cha

rcwheelman

Ok so I'm currently breaking in my 09 night train. I ride with a beanie helmet so I can hear everything that is coming out of the engine and pipes.
While I'm riding I constantly hear this cha-cha-cha-cha-cha sound coming from directly under the fuel tank. This sound is constant. Is this a normal sound from a 96b 1583 v-twin? I ask because I've never owned a harley before.

Thanks

Could be pinging from low octane fuel or even lugging the engine. What gear at what speed do you hear it? If you downshift a gear does it stop?

Could be pinging from low octane fuel or even lugging the engine. What gear at what speed do you hear it? If you downshift a gear does it stop?

from factory I've filled up twice and used nothing but v-power from shell which I believe is 94 octane. This sound is heard and idle and while riding in any gear. You can hear it more at lower speeds because of less wind and road noise. but it is a constant sound.

Try to isolate where exactly it is coming from. Under the tank is not specific enough because everything that moves is under the tank.
Left or right side, front rear?? Primary, cam side??

Try to isolate where exactly it is coming from. Under the tank is not specific enough because everything that moves is under the tank.
Left or right side, front rear?? Primary, cam side??

I'm bringing her out tomorrow to work, I'll try to isolate exactly where its coming from. but keep in mind I'm not mechanically inclined at all when it comes to motors. I can rip apart a computer and put it back together in 15 mins lol but I'm not motor smart. This bike only has 160 miles on it and its been babied from the dealership. If this sound isn't normal than maybe I should bring it back to the dealer. Now I'm worried...

If it does it at an idle take a screwdriver while it is idling,put the end of it up to your ear and run the other end up the motor ,it will act as a stethoscope and you can isolate the sound

When I got my EG last August I had a 3/4 helmet and could not here any noise from the engine. Last month I got a 1/2 helmet and the engine sounds very noisy. Though something was wrong at first. Last week it was cold in the mornings so I went back to the 3/4 and everything was quite again. Bike runs good and I get decent gas mileage. So this week I'm back with the 1/2 helmet and am not concerned unless it get louder.

Glider is right about lugging the engine. I did it at first. I tried to follow the owner's manual and shift at the speeds indicated in the book. Made a terrible noise. So bad i thought I had made a mistake getting this bike Now I wind it up a bit more and that noise went away. Don't abuse it, but don't baby it either!

First you want to be sure it's nothing wrong with your bike. But you don't want to start chasing sounds and little noises on a Harley , it will drive you nuts . They make more funny sounds than pea thrasher. I knew a guy that spent big bucks chasing some little noises on a Road King , and after it was all over he never found anything wrong with his bike.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'm gonna take her out today and see what happens. I'll keep you all informed. As you said this sound I'm hearing may be a normal sound that I'm not use to, as I have gone from a Honda 750 to this beastly machine.

Back