free website stats program engine clanging | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

engine clanging

STP or Lucas octane boosters...there's several out there. Stop by an automotive parts store, they'll have several choices for you.

Hoop,

I've noticed my bike will ping if I get stuck running poor quality gas and am riding 2 up in the hills. Page 1-59 in the touring service manual has more recommendations if detonation really is his problem.

Pre-Ignition or Detonation (Knocks or Pings)
1. Fuel octane rating too low.
2. Faulty spark plugs.
3. Incorrect spark plug for the kind of service.
4. Excessive carbon deposit on piston head or in combustion
chamber.
5. Ignition timing advanced due to faulty sensor inputs (TMAP
and/or CKP).
6. Ignition timing advanced due to ECM or sensors (CKP,
ET or TMAP) defective.
7. Intake manifold vacuum leak.

Last edited by a moderator:
B-1B,
Your right about adding the Octane boost for a Test run just to see the results. That 1 test would indeed eliminate lots of possibilities in 1 shot. I once got a load of fuel @ a Texaco station and I thought the engine was going to explode from it.:p

I once got some gas so bad the bike would not even start,

The highest we have here in Phoenix is 91 octane, that I have allways used and I have had several different brands in her with the same sound. I think I am going to have the dealer check it out as I am still under warranty just to be safe. It sounds from the replys that I should not have that noise as often as I do. I will let you all know when she comes out of the shop. Thanks for the help as always.

Well, I have a similar phenomenon (don't know whether to call it a problem...) on my 09 Street Bob.
Conditions:
  • only when accelerating abruptly
  • with the engine in temperature
  • despite the gear inserted (it seems...)
  • accelerating from appropriate RPM's, not too low...(e.g. accelerating from 70 mph in 6th)
I hear a tinkle, clink, chink coming from the engine.
High pitched, as if some small piece of metal would be loose in the rocker box hitting the walls .... (it's not a valve noise though... it's not rhythmic, it's random but loud)
I try to write it down:
tin...tin...ti-tin... tin... ti-ti-tin...
(I know you'll laugh at me for this...:p)

I wonder what it could be: any ideas?

Ciao
Ugo

That may be it but page 83 of the owners manual says appropriate shifting speeds are
first to second 15
second to third 25
third to fourth 35
fifth to sixth 55
Could I have damaged the engine if I have lugged it some? I need a tech.

I have always NEVER liked LUGGING....... NEITHER DOES THE HD MOTOR!!!!

A lot of people LOVE the LUGGING sound HD's make and YES it is a good LOW GRUNT to listen to but usually won't keep TICKING with that type of LICKING..

The thing I tell new-be's is

shift speeds....
3rd gear= 30 and UP
4th gear= 40 and UP
5th gear= 50 and UP

NO HARD PULLING on the starting LOW SPEED NUMBERS and shift down to a LOWER gear when twisting on the throttle!

6= a MINIUM CRUISING speed of 65 AND UP.. pulling a hill, don't be afraid to SHIFT to 5th gear....

PRE 07 bikes were 5 speeds and would run ALL DAY at 90+ mph without a problem...

follow these practices UNTIL you find WHERE YOU FEEL the comfort ZONE on your bike.... and ALWAYS
USE the HIGHER numbered "PREMIUM GRADE" gasoline ......91 octane and +

hopefully this helps

signed....BUBBIE

^^^^^^^

What he said! Absolutely right on. If you get a tach, then you can adjust your shifting based on how your bike is set up (engine, tranny, primary sprockets, belt pulleys, tires). As a rule of thumb, I like to shift between about 2,800 and 3,500 depending on the gear and what I am doing. Some guys like to push towards the higher revs before shifting, and for jack-rabbit starts and pulling hard, that is a good idea. But I use my bike for commuting, so I ride it pretty tame.

TQ

Well, I have a similar phenomenon (don't know whether to call it a problem...) on my 09 Street Bob.
Conditions:
  • only when accelerating abruptly
  • with the engine in temperature
  • despite the gear inserted (it seems...)
  • accelerating from appropriate RPM's, not too low...(e.g. accelerating from 70 mph in 6th)
High pitched, as if some small piece of metal would be loose in the rocker box hitting the walls .... (it's not a valve noise though... it's not rhythmic, it's random but loud)
I try to write it down:

Ciao
Ugo

Definitely sounds like detonation to me.

Conditions: ........SOME OF QUOTE REMOVED by me.......
]
I try to write it down:

Ciao
Ugo

AS NOTED IN YOUR OWNERS MANUAL;
upon heavy acceleration , you may hear a gravelly noise in the intake manifold, not to be confused with spark nock or pre-ignition, OR something to this EFFECT....?

It is just the spark sensor at work (normal), when the manifold pressure drops and the sensor is telling the advancing spark TOO MUCH.... tic-rattle-rattle......
IF, I LEAVE OFF the throttle a LITTLE BIT when I hear this NOISE it stops making the noise on my bike.....

I also thought this noise was a problem BUT with the HIGHEST *octane I used on my HIGH PERFORMANCE engine (*105) it DID not make that noise while using the HIGH octane... but did come back using 91 octane...

signed....BUBBIE

Back