free website stats program Engine Braking | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine Braking

We all do some engine breaking from time to time but I would rather replace brake pads than rebuild the engine prematurely. Engine breaking if done on a regular basis instead of using the brakes will cause excessive wear on all engine components. Most of us do it to some extent when slowing but to do it in excess will take it's toll in the long run on the engine in terms of wear.

We all do some engine breaking from time to time but I would rather replace brake pads than rebuild the engine prematurely. Engine breaking if done on a regular basis instead of using the brakes will cause excessive wear on all engine components.

I never ever heard of or seen an engine that was damaged by engine braking, if it was braked over red line that doesn't count, rev limiter won't help on a downshift.

I have 1 sport bike that has over 80K miles, has been engine braked from day one with no problems.

In traffic to alert people behind me, I will apply a bit of wheel brake to get the brake lights on.

I just thought it was odd having the service guy say not to engine brake?

He is probably HD school taught, just easier to say "Don't".. OR

"They All Do It" (the magic words/cure-all) Just another saying used in describing the "many problems and style of bikes and riders we have today", and not knowing the answers...:small3d014:

Safety First, Gear-up and Gear-down as needed..:newsmile011:

signed....BUBBIE

PS, Remember the Dead Horse thing....

I use a wee bit of engine breaking close the throttle bike slows down change down gear to match road speed slow let out of the clutch
most of my slowing down is done that way in an easy and deliberate manner
for emergency and fine adjustment of slowing and stopping i use the brakes
I do not often have cars behind me as i seem to move a wee bit quicker than most of them
I do use the brakes more in town but try to avoid built up areas when on the bike

Brian

I never ever heard of or seen an engine that was damaged by engine braking, if it was braked over red line that doesn't count, rev limiter won't help on a downshift.

I have 1 sport bike that has over 80K miles, has been engine braked from day one with no problems.

In traffic to alert people behind me, I will apply a bit of wheel brake to get the brake lights on.

Let's put it this way. On a dyno, why is it they say that it will cause damage if the bike slows the dyno down and to use the eddy brake to stop the dyno. It's the same principle with engine breaking on the street.

Because you "never heard or saw any engine damage" as a result of this practice doesn't mean that it doesn't cause excessive wear on the engine.

if it was braked over red line that doesn't count, rev limiter won't help on a downshift.

Could you explain just what this means ?

Could you explain just what this means ?

I believe he is talking about down shifting to the next lower gear. When you get in that next lower gear to early and let the clutch out and it over revs. The rev limiter won't catch that because it too fast.

I hope that makes sense.

Do what you feel is comfortable to you.I use gearing down as my slow down method.Blip the throttle at the appropriate time and you will never hurt a motor or any other component of the drive train.

What do you mean by blipping the throttle Steve? Do you mean just give it a little gas so the downshift is smoother instead of just dropping down to the next gear without giving it the gas (blip)? I ask that because I have noticed that if I try to blend the downshifting with a little gas it does seem to be a smoother transition. Hope I understood. :)

"Bliping" the throttle refers basically to double clutching which is when you give the throttle a quick twist to bring the RPM's up to about the speed that the engine will be running at in the lower gear. To be effective however in the true sense of the word the "bliping" should be done with the clutch lever released to spin the next lower gear up to speed but this usually isn't the way it is done by most.

Blipping the throttle during down shifting really helped with the old British bikes the way i do it is pull clutch in blip throttle as the revs are dropping apply a wee bit of pressure to the gear leaver and when everything is at the right speed the new gear will just snick into place
In an old pre synchromesh car gearbox press clutch out of gear clutch out blip throttle press clutch and select new gear as the revs are dropping

Brian

Back