free website stats program Engine and Cam question | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine and Cam question

Need more than the intake close to calculate; need chamber volume, head gasket thickness, deck height and piston dome volume. Not saying your numbers are wrong but what cam are you running with an 18* intake close?

S&S 583 ez start

I think I see where the disconnect is. I just noticed that you are running the S&S 106" kit. If you are using -1.5cc for the dome volume in your calculations, that is the dome volume for the OEM flat top pistons. I would bet that the dome volume for the S&S is more like -3.0cc or more. Most aftermarket piston manufacturers machine in larger valve reliefs to accomodate whatever valve the bulider may use. I would bet that your corrected CR is less than 9.6; still a bit high for my taste in a touring bike.

The only two pieces of information that we still don't know for sure are chamber volume and piston dome volume and I am betting the S&S dome volume is where the disconnect is. Corrected compression of 9.9 is way to high.

I think I see where the disconnect is. I just noticed that you are running the S&S 106" kit. If you are using -1.5cc for the dome volume in your calculations, that is the dome volume for the OEM flat top pistons. I would bet that the dome volume for the S&S is more like -3.0cc or more. Most aftermarket piston manufacturers machine in larger valve reliefs to accomodate whatever valve the bulider may use. I would bet that your corrected CR is less than 9.6; still a bit high for my taste in a touring bike.

The only two pieces of information that we still don't know for sure are chamber volume and piston dome volume and I am betting the S&S dome volume is where the disconnect is. Corrected compression of 9.9 is way to high.

You are right about the larger valve reliefs, I wish I,d have picked your brain before the build! Still all in all I'm very happy with the outcome as mentioned before the thing pulls like a tractor and it's hard to ride it under 90 mph. :bigsmiley12:

You are right about the larger valve reliefs, I wish I,d have picked your brain before the build! Still all in all I'm very happy with the outcome as mentioned before the thing pulls like a tractor and it's hard to ride it under 90 mph. :bigsmiley12:

As long as you are :bigsmiley12:; that's what counts. 9.93 corrected compression just wasn't making sense to me and I am anal enough to try and figure out why. Keep the rubber side down.:bigsmiley10:

As long as you are :bigsmiley12:; that's what counts. 9.93 corrected compression just wasn't making sense to me and I am anal enough to try and figure out why. Keep the rubber side down.:bigsmiley10:

Didn't bother me in the least,knowledge is KING and I enjoy learning. :s

Hey hogrotten,

(a GOOD Thing)
I could Hear the High compression PUMPING out POWER from riding behind your bike on the HDT run... I was Impressed......

You gotta remember, we ride in the High Altitudes here in Az. and NEED ever pound we can Squeeze out of our builds to run at best UP Here and hopefully not bad at low altitude on the occasion we are there... (seldom low in my case)

I liked the Sound and the Power your bike showed...:D

signed....BUBBIE

Hey hogrotten,

(a GOOD Thing)
I could Hear the High compression PUMPING out POWER from riding behind your bike on the HDT run... I was Impressed......

You gotta remember, we ride in the High Altitudes here in Az. and NEED ever pound we can Squeeze out of our builds to run at best UP Here and hopefully not bad at low altitude on the occasion we are there... (seldom low in my case)

I liked the Sound and the Power your bike showed...:D

signed....BUBBIE

Why thank you Bubbie I'm quite fond of it myself ! :)

Back