free website stats program Electronic Throttles | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Electronic Throttles

I found this on the net about the fly by wire systems. Seems that the system controls the engine and will keep the rider from lugging it by not advancing the throttle when the RPM's are too low to avoid lugging. It comes from a reliable source that owns a shop. Don't think I am crazy about that myself.

"The throttle setup seems to limit the power below 3000rpm"
After concluding these new bigger 96ci+ engines can be lugged into damage unlike their predecessors ie: EVO 80 inch motors, the motor company now controls lugging as not to damage the goods.
So, in conclusion, don't worry about the throttle not allowing the rider to damage his/her motorcycle by lugging it.

maybe they should put a mapping system on it so you could tell the bike where to go and all the rider would have to do is push a button, sit on the bike, and magically by the power of HD arrive at his location.:rider Don't anyone take this the wrong way but that really shows who their leaning to in their marketing. There's a lot on newbies buying the biggest motorcycle on the market. maybe thats why it's the one that got the electronic throttle.

I just picked up a 2008 Road Glide. I noticed the throttle was more responsive in first gear. Once I had a few miles on it and used a lighter touch I can't tell the difference between the old and new. So far I like it.

Well from what i have been told the electronic throttle wont be a problem...Even when something goes wrong it has a back up feature which will get you home even if it is real slow...But i wanna know i can get home when it stuffs up and i do feel confident now.HD didnt leave that unanswered as far as the problem it can be. They seem to t6hink of everything.

Yep, it has a 1300 RPM idle speed as a backup but what if the actuator goes out, does that still work and how is that?:D

I'll take cables.

Yep, it has a 1300 RPM idle speed as a backup but what if the actuator goes out, does that still work and how is that?:D

I'll take cables.

Let's see, 1300RPMs - 70mph speed limit - 6 lanes of traffic - THE RIDE HOME PRICELESS :khee:cry
I'll ride with steel think you!!!

I have a 2008 Ultra Classic with the electronic throttle. I like the drive by wire. It's really smooth and the cruise control works great too. I guess I won't feel that way when something goes wrong (crossing my fingers).

One problem that it should eliminate is the cable slack that caused problems with the cruise control if left in excess and not adjusted.

I remember hearing/reading somewhere that to trouble shoot/repair this system you need the digital technician program which is available to H.D.Dealership's ONLY.Not sure how accurate this is,but they said that Indy's were unable to get this program,so your local independant shop could not repair this if you have a problem.Has to go to a dealership for repair.Seem's kind of like H.D. is trying to lock up all the repair work on the future bike's,need the digital tech to access most of the E.C.U function's :eam. If this is true,H.D. is giving all of us that do our own wrenching the bone unless some one is able to obtain a copy of the digital tech :dknow.Like i said earlier,not sure how true this is,but give's ya something to think about now doesn't it .

Back