free website stats program Electrical ? | Harley Davidson Forums

Electrical ?

Loci

I am new here so I hope I am posting this in the correct place. I recently bought a 94 Heritage Softail Classic with less than 30k miles. The bike has been running fine until yesterday when as I squeezed the clutch when slowing to make a turn the bike just shut off. It started back up just fine, then it ran for about a mile and did the same thing when I squeezed in the clutch. I let the clutch back out while it was coasting to a stop and the bike restarted but this time it acted like it was out of gas (I just filled it up the day before). I admit to being a first time Harley owner so I make no bones about the fact that I have a lot to learn mechanically when it comes to Harleys. I have basic mechanical knowledge and I am willing and needing to learn more. I believe that the problem may be electrical but I prefer to ask those who have more experience than I before I do anything to the bike. I appreciate any and all advice and/or suggestions.

Thank you

Loci

Welcome to the forum. I also have a 94FLSTC, and there is nothing electrical hooked to the clutch, and no BAS. I would think that as you pull the clutch you are also letting off the throttle. You could have a venting problem with the gas tanks or a petcock screen that has debris on it. It could also be a blocked fuel filter. Does the bike idle well? I know you don't have a tach. but can you tell how fast or slow the idle is?

I think you may have a bad electrical connection some where where the wires are across the clutch cable as there will be some movement of the outer cable as the inner cable is pulled just a wee bit of movement that may be moving some of the wiring
I would closely look at how the clutch cable is moving as you pull in on the clutch and see what else is moving

Brian

Check the main ground running from the battery to the frame. Check both ends make sure they are clean and secure.

Check the routing of the clutch cable, make sure it is not rubbing on any thing special attention near the regulator

Back