free website stats program electrical problem of some sort | Harley Davidson Forums

electrical problem of some sort

ooheritage

hello to all, hope you had a great weekend. I have had a bit of an issue with my scoot, this is what it does, the speedometer fluctuates then goes to zero, my didital for my odometer flashes rapidly and or goes completely out, it sounds like it is running on one cylinder, and when I give it gas the lights dim, when I let off the lights get bright again. the engine light comes on then if I'm lucky it like resets itself and I can run normal sometimes for 200miles or more sometimes for about 3 secounds. We checked the plugs the coil wires, I replaced the ignition controll module, the battery is good and the stator seems to be keeping it charged, the wires to the starter are tight and we try to check all wires for kinks and bared spots all connections seem to be good. I'm leaning toward the kill switch, or the ignition switch. we also checked the coil and the proper resitence is there, any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated. 2000 heritage softail cassic (carburated) also I checked to see if there were any codes and there was'nt.

hello to all, hope you had a great weekend..

Thanks, I had a Great weekend !.:p

It sounds like you may be loosing your main power source. Something like a bad ignition key switch,, main breaker or Maxi fuse,, etc.

Do you have the Genuine schematics for that year & model bike? With them you will be able to see where the main feed breaks out to the individual fuses.. From that point & toward the battery is where I would begin. Also main battery ground and the eyelet ground stack under the seat. (at least that is where mine is)

I think what Hoople said!! I would START with checking/cleaning the main battery cables by disconnecting (neg first!) both ends of both cables and cleaning both mating surfaces with a small wire brush. I know you said the battery was good, but while disconnected I would take the battery to an auto parts store and have the battery load tested. Once the battery condition is verified, I would try hooking up jumper cables to the battery and the normal connections on the bike (starter pole, and ground bolt). See how it starts and if you can get any of the malfunctions you describe above when revving the engine.

Inspect the battery cables just under the insulation at both ends of both cables looking for corrosion evidence (white or colored salts under insulation). Try checking for any resistance in the cable, but a good reading doesn't really tell you anything. A bad reading (any resistance) tells you the cable is shot and needs replacement.

Hook the cables back up (neg last!), and run the bike. Any continuing problems? If so, then you might tear into the kill switch. These get corroded up inside with corrosion salts on the copper. A good scraping, cleaning with contact spray, and lubing with a spray lube does wonders!!

Let us know what you find.

TQ

well, it looks like the legend has helped again, glider suggested the vss to be removed and cleaned. I only drove it about 10 miles but that is farther then I was able to get the other day, so it looks like that may have done the trick. I'll let you all know more after I ride some more. As always thank you far your wisdom and help.

If it lasts a while and acts up again after some miles, you may consider replacing the VSS. Cleaning is sometimes helpful in diagnosing but rarely ever lasts in lieu of replacing them.

my didital for my odometer flashes rapidly and or goes completely out, it sounds like it is running on one cylinder, and when I give it gas the lights dim, when I let off the lights get bright again..

Glad you got the Scooter up and running again.

The above sure does have me puzzled. Hope it stays fixed but post if anything creeps back in.
(Vss...Humm...But I wanna know why:p)

Back