free website stats program electrical problem 2004 fatboy | Harley Davidson Forums

electrical problem 2004 fatboy

iceman48

Sometimes when I turn the ignition switch on and the engine light goes out, I hit the starter button and everything goes dead. then it resets and when you sit the starter button it goes dead again. the other day when this happened I turned the ignition switch off and then back on and the engine started cranking over. I have changed out the starter relay and it didn't help. This is an intermittent problem as it doesn't do it all the time. The shop can't find out what's wrong because it won't ever mess up or occur when I'm there. Anyone have any suggestions as to what is causing this, your help would greatly be appreciated.:small3d023:

It may be a simple as a bad ground. Had similar on my ultra. Neg. cable where it attaches near the starter had poor contact. Was not loose, just not good contact. Remove, cleaned and replaced and all was good again.

Best place to start sorting out a problem like this is to remove both battery cables and clean both ends and the area they seat in always remove the negative battery connection first and refit last
if that does not help then check the fuses and their seats that they are clean and free from any corrosion
then on to the main switch
move through the system methodically

Brian

I had the same problem on my 2004 fatboy, traced every wire i could find...Glider eventually helped me track it down to the ignition switch, the switch has plastic teeth in it to lock in to the on off, and accesory position, and they were wore out. also the contacts, were corroded.
I got a new one, keyed the same from the dealer, cost $ 115.

It may be a simple a a bad wire grounding out.....

all i can say is good luck. I spent hours trying to solve mine...but it was cheaper for me to do it, than the dealer.

Last edited by a moderator:
As other have stated, check the primary battery/starter & ground cables, cleaning and using dielectric grease. Follow up with the fuse block and fuses...if corrosion clean contacts and grease 'em...pitch the fuses if they look discolored or deteriorated. Finally that ignition switch could be a problem...but I would save that for last. Just my way...simplicity and cost being the driver here!

Thanks for the suggestions. I will start the process as you explained tomorrow. Sometimes it's 3 months in between this happening. Hopefully with your help and advice I can figure out what the problem is. Now knowing when this is going to occur has slowed down my extended trips away from home. Again thanks for your help. I did buy a service manual to help me locate all the items on the bike.:5:

I always start at the source, the battery and work thru the system causing the problem, alot of our issues begin at the battery IE loose or corroded connections and under charged or shorted batteys JMO

I recommend taking your time, it can be a long frustrating process, just when you think you got it...it happens again
Good Luck, and let us know how you make out, and post if you need help.:s

Back