free website stats program EGC Shift Linkage Keeps Falling Apart | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

EGC Shift Linkage Keeps Falling Apart

I removed the heel shifter from my RK... because I learned on a toe only bike!

Since then, I have worn the splines off 2 shafts, and ruined 2 shift levers (I must shift HARD!).

Why does the MoCo use such SMALL splines?

And what are these HEIM joints? Will they help me? 60 bucks per repair (20 for shaft, 40 for lever) is getting a little expensive!

Have you checked that your gearchange pedal shaft is free,and not jamming or binding?I believe that the shaft can get an accumulation of crud,or if there's no lube,the action can be stiff.Also,is your clutch in ok adjustment?How smooth and free is the gearbox?Tried good lube?
Any of these things could lead to a stiffer gearbox and thus make you shift 'hard'.

Biscuit,

When I say hard, I mean I push and pull hard on the shift lever... the gears themselves change easy.

Just like I type on a keyboard HARD... I learned to type on a NON-electric typewriter... so I PUSH the computer keys hard.

With regards to the shaft, I believe it is NOT lubricated... although I hav eput anti sieze on the last one.

Clutch adjustment is next on my list of projects... I did primary oil a little while ago and forgot to check adjustment, but it is pretty close to being right.

I have JUST changed tranny fluid, and shifts are even smoother... but again, I have a heavy foot. MOSTLY because I ride highway pegs all the time, and when I go to down shift (or upshift), I take my foot off the peg, move it 12 inches or so, then bang the shift lever (cuz I am in a hurry)... I know I should be more gentle... but I forget. ;)

i will say ive had this prob. but it only happened after i lossened the shifters up to reposition the heal shifter. it came lose on a ride so i just slid it off till i got home and put it back on with some blue lock tight on the threads ,no prob's since
keith

Back