free website stats program EFI to Carb Conversion 2000 RK | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

EFI to Carb Conversion 2000 RK

You did not mention if the motor is stock or has been modified which, IMHO, has to be considered in the decision to convert. You say the M&M sucks but what does that mean? IMHO, if the M&M is working and you can find a tuner that knows how to tune the M&M, avoid the cost and expense of converting to carb. On the other hand, if the M&M isn't working, knowledgeable tuner is not available or you just want to make the conversion, then do it.;)

I have attached a photo documented EFI to carb conversion on a 2005 Softail. The conversion is a bit tedious and time consuming but IMHO worth the cost and effort. JMHO but unless the OP is planning to build a 100HP+ motor, a CV40 would be a suitable carb; plenty available for $50, or therabouts; very easy to modify and tune; lots of jets/needle options, etc.

I have also attached a list of HD parts others have used to make the conversion. Most are still available but some will have to be found on Ebay. Depending on your approach to the conversion, where parts are purchased, etc., the cost to convert should run between $800-$1000 and, from what I read from guys that have made the conversion it is worth every penny. Some have said that the M&M ECM can be retained but I think it should be replaced.

One thing I noted in the Two Desperados conversion was leaving all the wires, etc. needed for the EFI on the bike and pushed up under the tank. If I were doing the conversion, I would run those cables down to a connector and remove them from the bike. Also suggest that you Google "Carb to EFI Conversion" and do some research and reading to determine how you are going to make the conversion before you start buying parts.

Good luck with the project and keep the forum updated on your progress.

Also suggest that you get the MoCo service manual for your model; the wiring diagrams will come in handy.

Hello All,
Rather than let this die, I thought I would update my progress on this project.
I found that (NAMZ) https://namzcustomcycleproducts.com/ Makes an OEM carb. harness. Bought one! (quality workmanship) he recommended an ignition module from Dynatek http://dynaonline.com/ I called and talked to Gary there, explained what I was doing and bought the TC88-2P.
When the Harness showed up, I took it out of the box, held it up to the bike and said aloud... "***"! how do I get there from here? So for the next three evenings I would go out to the shop, crack open a can of thinking fluid and just trace shit out. When it finally hit me, and I could see that this was just a plug and play harness and that from the ECM forward everything could be removed I was Happy, happy, happy.
Here's a photo of the removed harness and the EFI bits.
EFI.jpg

Tomorrow I'm going to pick up the cylinders and heads from Baisley's. We ended up at a 10.25:1 ratio with Andrews 57N conversion cams. Also for the chest is an S&S plate, pump, and tensioners with Feuling sprockets and chains. Something to be noted is that these early twin cam engines used a cam position sensor, which required a special cam sprocket for the trigger. when you use the Dynatek module and, the 2007 and later chest pieces (roller chain setup) you don't need this. The Dynatek module just needs the crank sensor to fire the ignition.
That's all for now, more pictures next week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back