free website stats program EFI Heat Management | Harley Davidson Forums

EFI Heat Management

What would be some of the effects of the bike running if one of these being bad ??

It's software driven. If it was not turned "on", the ECM would not take any steps to try and reduce the heat the engine was making. The engine would continue to generate heat faster than it could get rid of it.

My bike is a 2008 and has this system. I like it. When sitting at idle the bike monitors the head temperature. I believe when it reaches around 289*, the bike stops sending an ignition pulse to the rear cylinder, effectively turning it into an air compressor. It only happens at idle and results in a definite change in the idle of the bike. You can hear the engine tone change. Also I notice a slight smell (possibly the unburnt fuel). As soon as you roll on the throttle the rear cylinder starts firing. It works seamlessly on my bike and I always have it on here in Florida. If you roll the throttle backwards and hold for 3-5 seconds you can turn it off/on. Watch the cruise control light for info..if it flashes green then the system is active, if it flashes read the system if off. Hope this is what you were looking for. I know my 06 had a version of this system that required the dealer turn it off and on. Don't know if it was available for MY 2002.

Watch the cruise control light for info..if it flashes green then the system is active, if it flashes read the system if off. .

I wish there was a light or something to indicate when my system kicked in. I don't have cruise control. 2009 FXDL

the ETIMS is only on the touring bikes - it has yet to filter down to softails and dynas

Your kidding. I did not know that.

You would think that it would have been "gray out" when using the SEST under "Tuning Setup". So I can turn it "ON" but I am actually not doing anything. I could have waited for a meltdown and the engine would have done nothing. Well that's really great. :p

My '07 has it and I believe (bought used) it was an optional Dealer download within the standard factory warranty period if desired. The user activation ON/OFF feature appeared in later years.
I like it, it sounds like a thumper when activated, but have not 'smelled' any difference from the front seat, although I have read that.
Also, I almost stalled once on move off when activated riding two up; Now I do a gentle throttle blip before moving off when activated. That turns it off.

but have not 'smelled' any difference from the front seat, although I have read that.

I don't think you ever will. I may not have it on my Dyna but I do know for a fact, it kills the fuel injector and not the spark.
They are accomplishing the same thing, just in a better way.

I think my 2005 EGS has something for heat. I know when I was sitting in a line of cars, I could tell that the engine started to idle in a strange fashion. It was like a pulsation feeling, then after a couple minuets, it was like the rear cylinder started to miss fire every other cycle. It was like a heart beating. The bike never cut off, and when I started rolling down the road she ran like a top.

Back