free website stats program ECM Trouble Codes: P2138 and P1510 | Harley Davidson Forums

ECM Trouble Codes: P2138 and P1510

Sharky1948

Bike: '09 FLHR
Two trouble codes:
- P2138 - Twist Grip Sensor Correlation Error
- P1510 - EFI Limited Performance Mode

On the TGS, I have put on new grips and recently there seems to be a very slight (and I mean very slight) stickiness from time to time. I was assuming I just needed to take it off and put some graphite lubricant in, but maybe it's the sensor going bad.

On the EFI, I've got a Power Commander on board, but it's been there for almost 20000 miles with no issues.

Any thoughts on how to further diagnose the problems?

Unfortunately, I think you will have to get yourself the HD Factory Electrical Diagnostic Manual covering your model and year. Frankly, I feel that anyone that is going to maintain one of these bikes needs the Factory Service Manual, Parts Manual and the Electrical Diagnostic Manual. With these, there is very little that most of us can NOT do on our bikes.

My EDM is for the '03 Touring Models, so I am afraid I can help you much. Neither of these codes applies to my bike.

TQ

Bike: '09 FLHR
Two trouble codes:
- P2138 - Twist Grip Sensor Correlation Error
- P1510 - EFI Limited Performance Mode

On the TGS, I have put on new grips and recently there seems to be a very slight (and I mean very slight) stickiness from time to time. I was assuming I just needed to take it off and put some graphite lubricant in, but maybe it's the sensor going bad.

On the EFI, I've got a Power Commander on board, but it's been there for almost 20000 miles with no issues.

If you just put new grips on you may have put the grip housing to far up the handle bar. I did the same thing. I had to loosen the grip (housing) and slide it out just a little. It is an attention getter when you let go of the throttle and it does not close. Also I would pull the connector on the back of the throttle body behind the air cleaner and shoot it with contact cleaner and then maybe a little WD40 should cure the P2138 issue.

If you just put new grips on you may have put the grip housing to far up the handle bar. I did the same thing. I had to loosen the grip (housing) and slide it out just a little. It is an attention getter when you let go of the throttle and it does not close. Also I would pull the connector on the back of the throttle body behind the air cleaner and shoot it with contact cleaner and then maybe a little WD40 should cure the P2138 issue.

Good advice... The grip was binding ever so slightly; barely noticeable. I corrected that and all is well.

horrible storm came in and blew my bike over. luckily only dmg was the throttle side grip and some of the teeth inside it.
i had my factory grips so i just put them on and thought i was good to go but the bike went into Low performance mode, running back and forth between one and 2 cylinders. codes were as posted above. i found this thread and was able to get it going again, thanks a lot guys. step one..hold down odo reset and turn power on.. step 2 hold down odo reset again till codes show.. i was able to just take the grip off.. put it back on and i think it was slighly turned so its position was just a hair off. i guess those are pretty sensitive sensors. all good now. no money for this fix. keep 2 wheels down guys and thanks for the great thread.

Back