free website stats program Easy-off oven cleaner | Harley Davidson Forums

Easy-off oven cleaner

bubbu

Getting my heads and cylinders ready for powder coating using easy-off. It's taking off the black paint they put on it at the factory and it started looking ready to send out. So I shot it again with cleaner and let sit overnight but I forgot about it and when I cleaned it off and it looks dark and it won't come off unless you sand it or Dremel it off. Anybody know what's going on with this and how to get it off? Would be pretty tough to get to the fins cleaned out. Hopefully there's a easier way. Thanks guys

I'm guessing that the cleaner etched the aluminum, you could try spraying again in a small area let it sit for a minute or so than use a tooth brush on it, rinse and see if it helped.
Good luck.

The oven cleaner contains NaOH and has oxidized the aluminum. I doubt very much additional treatment with the cleaner will do anything, but what the heck give it a try. I think you are going to be stuck removing it by sanding or dremel. If you have the availability of sandblasting it will save a lot of work. Good luck!

Sand or some sort of media blasting is a good idea. I did the heads on my EVO a long time ago (15 yrs?) and I just used TSP and then sprayed and baked the paint right over the old. Still look great.

Find somebody who does vapour blasting.
Microscopic glass beads in a high pressure water stream. Really leaves a lovely surface.
Plus the round glass beads don’t embed themselves into the metal like the microscopic pointed sand particles.
Also, because these glass beads are so “gentle” on metallic surfaces, you don’t have to protect or mask or cover any seal or mating or bearing surfaces.(plain or otherwise).
Google it and have a good look at pictures of end results.

More on media blasting, industry, i.e., chemical, oil, gases, almost any that has outdoor tanks has been using dry ice blasting because there is no additional waste beside the coating being blasted off, I don't know if it's feasible for a small project or what type of finish one could expect to get. Just fuel for thought:)

Back