free website stats program Easy access charging harness | Harley Davidson Forums

Easy access charging harness

Redman

I have a charging harness that came attached to battery and accessable from outside covers. It seems to link up with my battery tender as far as the connections go. I am wondering if I can just go ahead and plug in without fear and give her a charge without having to take seat off or is there a special charger to be used.thanks for your help.

Most Harleys, mine included do come with a pigtail attached to the battery. This is for trickle charging as well as jump starting your bike. To be sure, I would take it to your dealer to confirm. More than likely you should be safe by attaching your battery tender to that pigtail.

Hope that helps.

If it is attached to the battery and you follow the leads and it terminates with a plug like the end on the trickle charger, no doubt it's probably the charger pigtail installed by the dealer and you can use it for charging the battery.
As far as jumping the battery through this lead, I don't think that's a good idea.

I have a charging harness that came attached to battery and accessable from outside covers. It seems to link up with my battery tender as far as the connections go. I am wondering if I can just go ahead and plug in without fear and give her a charge without having to take seat off or is there a special charger to be used.thanks for your help.

Check the polarity of both plug ends and opposite ends! The shrouded end of pigtail are connected to eyelet terminals at your battery, and "normally" the positive, so if the pigtail is loose it does not short out to the frame (negative ground).

THEN check the polarity of your proposed accessory mate (notice the positive side will be exposed) this is showing the polarity reversed and why you need to check the polarity of the other end is correct and that this harness is fused (2.5A for low power, 7.5A if higher power)...just DO NOT exceed 10A, cause you want your harness fuse to blow before your fuse box accessory 15A one just in case! :s

Back