free website stats program Early Twin Cam Bearing Problem Identification | Harley Davidson Forums

Early Twin Cam Bearing Problem Identification

glider.

BOT Machine
The Engine Build Date Determines the Defect

First let’s see who is affected by this bearing failure and who isn’t.The build date of your engine, (from Milwaukee’s massive Pilgrim Rd. plant) and NOT the assembly date, (which is done in the York Pennsylvania plant), of the motorcycle is the important piece of information to determine whether the old style no good ball bearings are installed in the cam support plate or the new improved roller bearings, (part # 8984), are there. You or your dealer can phone the Factory with two engine serial numbers, the vehicle identification number, (VIN), that your bike is registered with off the left side engine casing at the base of the cylinders and the motor number off the bottom of the right engine case. If your engine was built before Dec. 14 1999 then you have the problem ball bearings. On and after Dec. 14 1999 and the new improved roller bearings with the new cam support plate will have been installed in your engine.Harley’s are built in ½ years not the full yearly production you are probably more familiar with. Each manufacturing year has an early and late production. For example; in general, the early 2000 models will have fewer changes than the later 2000 manufactured bikes. HD introduces many mechanical changes half way through the year to correct problems and for a variety of other reasons. Therefore early 2000 bikes will mechanically mimic late 1999 models while late 2000 bikes will be more similar to early 2001 models.

Just a quick update on this one. At 15,000 the cam chain tensioner was showing signs of wear. The lifters looked fine but were swapped out for Harley B lifters. The cam chain conversion was done with Screamin Eagle EZ pushrods ($160 US from Herko compared to $220 CDN from Harley). I took the advice given to me and installed the cam conversion(Andrews 21 N) kit with cam support plate and oil pump etc. Also installed a Techlusion TFI due to the research on this site. The B lifters were noisy at first but resolved itself. All in all it went quite. Couldn't have done the job without my Pal Kemo and all his slick time saving tools! The bike is more fun to ride now with the extra torque and is ready for the Big Bore upgrade in the future. Thanks to everyone on this site who contributed in assisting me in this project.

Each manufacturing year has an early and late production. For example; in general, the early 2000 models will have fewer changes than the later 2000 manufactured bikes. HD introduces many mechanical changes half way through the year to correct problems and for a variety of other reasons. Therefore early 2000 bikes will mechanically mimic late 1999 models while late 2001 bikes will be more similar to early 2001 models.

Just noticed ??? mimic late 1999 models while late "2001" ??? should be late 2000 bikes will be more similar to early 2001 models.

NOT being smart ,,, just noticed

YOU DO A GREAT JOB ON THIS SITE .... Just thought u might want to correct the date to 2000

Back