free website stats program E-85 in bikes anyone?!???! | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

E-85 in bikes anyone?!???!

Have to say reformulated gas hurt fuel mileage in my vehicles by about 5-7 miles per gallon. Still cannot understand the math behind the so called savings for the consumer or for the environment. If people burn 15-20% more gas with slightly less 5% polution and 15% alcohol "cutting" the regular gas...How is that going to make things better? Certainly will improve the wallets of corn farmers not making food but fuel oil supplement and oil refineries adding essentially a filler to the gas by cutting the amount of gas they use per gal by 15%...sounds pretty profitable FOR THEM...!

Is this true even if he claims the bike has been tuned to run it. I would never even think of putting it in my bike. I do not see any benefit of it. I heard that stuff gets horrible mileage, so I do not see any point what so ever.

Tuning to run would be one thing, the components in the engine are the other part. 85% alcohol carries a lot of water that is pretty tough on steel components.

Don't know if it really works this way but if the octane rating of ethanol is really 105 as the OP stated, we maybe would be able to go back to the insane compression ratio's of yester-year. That would indeed yield more horsepower. It would no longer be a "Flex" engine for sure but we may gain some MPG back that was lost.(?).. Of course the engine would have to be built to support 12:1 and up compression ratio's.

Do they grow corn in Wisconsin and Iowa?
I could of sworn I saw a black hellicopter outside my window while I was reading this post!!!!!:newsmile100::34:

Another reason the price of meat and other goods are going up, making all the Ethanol takes its toll on us as consumers

My bike sees minimum 91 octane fuel and at most 10% ethanol blend. My dad has a flex-fuel vehicle that his mileage gets cut by 1/3 when running E85. He likes filling the tank for $1.99/gal but he does it alot more.

I'm not in a hurry to jump on the E85 bandwagon as I don't think the payoff is enough to buy a vehicle designed for it.

Any other comment beyond that is political in nature so I'll keep it to myself! :D

Back