free website stats program Dyno or No Dyno | Harley Davidson Forums

Dyno or No Dyno

franka

2007 Road King with 57,699 miles. Last Dyno was done at 50,705. Just replaced the following items, do I need to Dyno????
Feuling Guides, Feuling Tappets, Feuling OE+ Oil Pump
Feuling Cam Chains, S&S Pushrods and S&S Cam Kit 510

I have to respectfully disagree with Breeze; sort of. The 510 cam profile changes every valve timing event, over lap, duration, etc. IMHO a dyno tune is necessary to optimize the performance benefit of the new cam. Typically, stock timing is a bit advanced because of the EPA profile of the stock cam and would normally be retarded a bit to accommodate the new cam profile.

Having said that, if optimizing performance to take full advantage of the new cam and the OP does not experience any pinging or other performance anomalies with the new configuration, passing on a re-tune may not cause any harm but won't take full advantage of adding a cam which begs a question. Why spend the money to add a performance cam and not re-tune to take advantage of installing a performance cam?:confused:

Just make sure the dyno dude knows what he's doing. Some guys think you're just drag racing and will tune for that. They will then literally beat the crap outta your bike.

Thank you guys, I’m off to the Dyno!

You will be glad you did. Make sure the tuner is really tuning and not just loading and tweaking a "map". BTW, it's not "beating the crap" our of your bike. The tuner has to tune partial and wide open throttle which will require WOT pulls. It should take a couple of hours allowing for cool down time and several WOT pulls to complete the tune as the configuration is not radical; only real change from the last dyno is the addition of the new cam so the tuner should be able to dial it in pretty quick.

A more radical configuration with increased displacement, ported heads, new exhaust, high compression, larger throttle body, .600"+ lift cans, etc. could easily take 4 hours minimum and as many as 20-30 pulls on the dyno.

You will be glad you did. Make sure the tuner is really tuning and not just loading and tweaking a "map". BTW, it's not "beating the crap" our of your bike. The tuner has to tune partial and wide open throttle which will require WOT pulls. It should take a couple of hours allowing for cool down time and several WOT pulls to complete the tune as the configuration is not radical; only real change from the last dyno is the addition of the new cam so the tuner should be able to dial it in pretty quick.

A more radical configuration with increased displacement, ported heads, new exhaust, high compression, larger throttle body, .600"+ lift cans, etc. could easily take 4 hours minimum and as many as 20-30 pulls on the dyno.

Dolt I did say that's the difference between someone that knows what they're doing and someone tuning for drag racing. Honestly, the last 30 times I've ridden I can't say I've pulled WOT to redline every time. Some guys do, but I like to take it easy with my bike as do a lot of the guys I ride with.

Dolt I did say that's the difference between someone that knows what they're doing and someone tuning for drag racing.

I don't think we have a disagreement. Finding a tuner that knows what they are doing is important; totally agree the tuner should be vetted and clearly understand the owner's goals which usually includes optimizing the performance of the motor; all this agreed before putting the bike on the dyno. I also think it important for the owner to be present during the tuning process and I would not allow anyone to tune one of my bikes without me being present. The point of my previous post was that tuning for WOT is just part of the tuning process and requires WOT pulls and that is not beating on the motor. A skilled tuner will not pull any more WOT runs than necessary to tune for WOT and they will do it safely. Forum members should understand that a complete tune requires some WOT pulls and if the motor is properly built and prepared for the tune, no worries.;)

2007 Road King with 57,699 miles. Last Dyno was done at 50,705. Just replaced the following items, do I need to Dyno????
Feuling Guides, Feuling Tappets, Feuling OE+ Oil Pump
Feuling Cam Chains, S&S Pushrods and S&S Cam Kit 510
Get a Dyno, other wise you are just guessing. If I ever get another bike. It will get a Dyno just to bring it up to it's full potential before it even hits the road.

Back