free website stats program Dyna BOB Ignition switch swap | Harley Davidson Forums

Dyna BOB Ignition switch swap

cdn-bigfoot

Dyna STREET BOB Ignition switch swap

I hated the neck mounted switch on my SB. The keyfob would hang there and bang against the down tube in the wind. It's also an awkward reach to turn off the bike.

This method is a total fabrication from step one.
I bought an aftermarket WG style switch off E-Bay. On second thought I should have bought one from HD so that access to keys would not be so problematic.

1. Locate desired position after measuring the switch you have to install.
I used a hole saw on my hand held drill. If you have access to a good drill press that may work better.
2. To get the switch to the deired height and angle you will have to make up a plate from some stock aluminum. The plate gets mounted with the existing tank plate bolts. I used washers under the plate to get the height and angle just right. The washers also allow for drainage if water gets under the dash. Mount the switch with bolts from below the plate and a succession of nuts to lock it in place. The length of the bolts is imperitive. Only experimantation will get it just right. Use blue threadlocker on all nuts.
3. Make up a wiring jumper to work with the new switch config.
4. Use a short piece of black rubber tubing and split it to surround switch and help keep water from penetrating next to the switch.

See my photo's for a couple tips on my install. I chromed my dash at the same time.
Chromed_dash.jpg

New_WG_switch.jpg

plate_mount.jpg

2inch_hole.jpg

There are a couple good discussions on this mod. They discuss other methods for other Dyna models as well.

Ignition switch swap question - Harley Davidson Community

Change the Dash on an 06 Street Bob - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited:
Back