free website stats program Dual points. 96" shovel. Electronic ignition or points? and Why? | Harley Davidson Forums

Dual points. 96" shovel. Electronic ignition or points? and Why?

96 " shovelhead, dual points. Electronic ignition or points? And why?

• electronic

Results are only viewable after voting.

bud broom

I have a 79 shovelhead motor. Bored to a 96" from and 80". I have dual plugs in each cylinder and a coil for each cylinder. Do I need to upgrade to an electronic ignition, or stay with points? and why?

I would upgrade to the electronic ign. The reason being is smother running due to less variation in the timing. The mechanical advance has some play in it when timing is advanced/retarded. Thus fluctuations in the curves. I recently changed mine to an Ultima unit. It is a cheaper version of the Dyna 6000I(?). This was on my '73 Shovel. I like mine very much. The reason for the change was due to the mechanical advance broke a spring 10 mi. from Boerne,Tex. on I 10. I still had about 200 mi. to my destination at Sweet Water for an AMCA meet/greet. Any way short story long, I had a spare advance, changed on the side of the road and onward thru the fog.
tourbox

P.S. Welcome from So. Texas.
tourbox

I run Daytona TT.
It gives a LOT of options.
Points were great for the day..unless you are worried about a EMPB i would skip them.

Back