free website stats program DTC on 2011 FLHTK | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

DTC on 2011 FLHTK

was curious if there would be something in the SEPST software that would allow for the O2 sensors to be disabled?

Yes there is. But it is a "clean" way to do it. The software does not use the sensors, but it also will not throw a code. If the bike is stock or stage 1 with just a SE download, you should not see those codes unless there is some mechanical/electrical issue. That is the way it is on my 2009. But HD lan may be different.
I am curious to see what they find/tell you.

Yes there is. But it is a "clean" way to do it. The software does not use the sensors, but it also will not throw a code. If the bike is stock or stage 1 with just a SE download, you should not see those codes unless there is some mechanical/electrical issue. That is the way it is on my 2009. But HD lan may be different.
I am curious to see what they find/tell you.

Thanks Hoople. Yep the bike has a Stage 1 with SE download with Dyno tune. Do you think there has been any harm with the O2 sensors being inactive?

I will keep you updated once I can get the bike to the dealer.

Look at the error codes for what they are: =>

The ECM is seeing no toggle action from the O2 sensors..
What that means is both sensors are telling the ECM to go richer or leaner, so the ECM tries to do that by changing the pulse width on the injectors, but it has ran out of allowable adjustment. The ECM never sees the feedback signal (O2 sensors) toggle to the "other side" and then throws a code.

Whatever the issue is, it is affecting BOTH sensors or sensor signals. You have to take a meter and monitor the output of the sensors to see if the signal is pegged. It could be something like the fuel pump pressure being too low or too high because that would affect both front and rear. It could be an intake manifold leak also.

You really need to check a few things with a meter using propane enrichment before knowing what you have going on. Testing to see if you can force a over-rich mixture on both sensors would tell you where to look for the trouble..

See what they tell you at the dealership.

I have an update.

I was able to get to the dealer yesterday and have them look at the bike. They suggested switching the O2 sensors in the pipes. The O2 connectors at the end to the pigtail, that plug into the wire harness are dummy proof and cannot be flipped that way, but they thought maybe the sensors themselves were put in the opposite pipe.

I said sure, lets try it. They also said they checked the Super Tuner and made a couple adjustments, dummy me forgot to ask what adjustments as I was kinda rushing to meet friends. So, a quick hour ride and I have noticed a nice improvement and a slight more responsiveness in the bike and the codes have yet to come back.

I will keep an eye on the codes and hopefully that was the fix. :D

Happy days!

They suggested switching the O2 sensors in the pipes. they thought maybe the sensors themselves were put in the opposite pipe.

They "suggested" swapping O2 cables front to rear & rear to front... and that is what they did to fix your bike? No one that calls themselves a trained repair technician should ever "suggest" trying something like that unless they first checked the wiring harness with a meter to see if they were wrong to start with. That would mean the cables were reversed since the bike was new.

Something is brutally wrong here. There is nothing in the SEPST menu that I know of, that would cause those error codes to be thrown. I would not take another step until I took a meter and cross checked those cables.

Based on "suggestion",, just imagine if the cables were correct to start with and now they are actually reversed.

I have an update.

I was able to get to the dealer yesterday and have them look at the bike. They suggested switching the O2 sensors in the pipes. The O2 connectors at the end to the pigtail, that plug into the wire harness are dummy proof and cannot be flipped that way, but they thought maybe the sensors themselves were put in the opposite pipe.

I said sure, lets try it. They also said they checked the Super Tuner and made a couple adjustments, dummy me forgot to ask what adjustments as I was kinda rushing to meet friends. So, a quick hour ride and I have noticed a nice improvement and a slight more responsiveness in the bike and the codes have yet to come back.

I will keep an eye on the codes and hopefully that was the fix. :D

Happy days!
To me that does not sound right, seems to me their scanner should be able to show the o2 sensors activity much the same as any automotive scanner, am I missing something here?

Hoople and Jack,

Thanks for inputs. It did seem to be bit smoother when I left, it was never really rough running tough.

He did mention that nothing in the tuner would be causing those codes and they didn't come back on the short ride I was on after leaving the dealer.

Once Sandy leaves and we are back to semi normal, I will take a ride or two and see if any codes come back.

Will keep ya posted.

So I am circiling back around and updating the post. Do date the codes have not come back. I have been able to ride at least once a month since October and am usually out for an hour or two. So, I would think if the codes were going to come back they would of.

An off way of troubleshooting, but switching the O2 sensors semmed to work. So far so good.

So I am circiling back around and updating the post. Do date the codes have not come back. I have been able to ride at least once a month since October and am usually out for an hour or two. So, I would think if the codes were going to come back they would of.

An off way of troubleshooting, but switching the O2 sensors semmed to work. So far so good.

Interesting, I still would like to see the data stream and I do believe there is 1, glad it works for you so far, I just hope this is not a band aide :s

Back