free website stats program dtc 31 | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

dtc 31

Spoolit,, Entry point #5, paragraph 2 sure does indicate that something is wrong with the TSSM. That 31 code coming back even with no siren module is not what I would like to see.

Hey Hoop, I have read on other forums that the code shows up on bikes that don't even have the security system (a TSM instead of TSSM) and many are confused as to how they get that code without having security. I still think it's either a glitch in the TSSM or some sort of short/bad connection in the wiring to the siren. By the way, the bikes without the alarm still have the wiring for the siren!

I still think it's either a glitch in the TSSM or some sort of short/bad connection in the wiring to the siren.

I agree, that very well can be. It certainly can be a bug in the firmware especially if that TSSM release was new back in 2002.
It is times like this you need someone like Chopper who has years of HD Dealership experience.
New guys on block like myself can only assume the software is clean.

newbie here, but have been learning alot from this forum already, including the whole "efi/convoluted hose" repair. I know this is an "old" thread, but I've been having the exact same problem with my '01 R/K Classic...6 flashes, code 31, and basically "0" voltage on pin B going to the siren. Have good ground on "A", B+ on "C", and also no voltage coming from the tssm at pin 11... everything else works from the tssm & the trouble code 31 wont clear......At this point, I assume my tssm is shot, but I'd hate to drop $200 on a new tssm & have the same problem.....Thanks for any help:D

Last edited:
Does your siren have the built in "9v" standby battery? If so, it is probably dead shorted or leaking. Take a look if you have one.

Yes it has the 9v battery, but I've already removed the siren from the bike(batt did leak a bit)....do u think this could have damaged/shorted out my tssm??----btw, thanks for the assistance...If I have to replace the tssm, I'm going to go with a "tsm"...."the simpler the better"

What procedure are you using to clear out the code(s). To date I have not seen a reliable way to clear MM codes. Do you have a scanner tool.
thats interesting....I've been using the "signal" method, holding the l/turn signal for 4-5 secs at end of "code diagnostic" mode, supposed to clear codes....but either way, shouldnt I get some type of "low to high" voltage on the "B" pin when I arm/dis-arm or trip the alarm??(and also the siren stopped working at same time, and still wont work with a new battery).... maybe I should drop by the dealer & see if I can get a "cheap" code-clearing and/or diagnosis b4 I start throwing parts at her??

shouldnt I get some type of "low to high" voltage on the "B" pin when I arm/dis-arm or trip the alarm??

I have never tried it, but I would expect to see a logic level change on the "B" pin when the alarm system was tripped to sound. I just don't know for sure if the siren module provides some sort of "pull up" or "pull down" resistor for the process to happen.

This is what I would try....

Looking at my 2009 schematics, Pin "A" is battery+ from the bike and the "C" pin is frame ground. With Pin "B" being logic level trigger. Pin "B" goes to pin 11 of the TSSM. So Pin #11 of the TSSM is the "trigger" for the siren module. Therefore there is a wire which goes from terminal 11 of the TSSM to terminal "B" of the siren module.

Now with the siren module removed, is the logic level of Pin 11 of YOUR TSSM "Low" or "High"?

If it is LOW,, you may want to try taking a 1K ohm resistor and placing it between terminal 11 of the TSSM and battery positive of the bike (with the siren module REMOVED) in order to act as a pull up resistor.

This resistor would look like a "good siren" to the TSSM. Now monitor that terminal to see if the TSSM pulls it's logic level "low" when the alarm is tripped.

This just may give you the answer your looking for. If tripping the alarm does sink the logic level, you know the TSSM is probably good.

Also the opposite should be true as far as the siren module goes. With the siren module in you hand, connect a 12 volt battery across terminals A & C. (pin A is positive and Pin C is negative). You should now be able to force trigger the siren module into an alarm state by either grounding terminal B or applying 12v to terminal "B". (use a 1K resistor to sink or source pin B for safety)

Does your bike flash the turn signals to indicate an alarm condition has taken place. My 2009 does. You need some kind of indicator to tell you an alarm condition is met.

good info hoople....will have to pick up a resistor for this process. I wonder if the "stupid" add-on siren caused all of this? Its off the bike now, but could have started the whole issue. Will let u know what I come up with(resistor test). Funny thing is I just got back from a nice ride, bike ran beautifully, except for those (EDIT) "6 flashes":(. And yes, my bike does flash the signals when arming/dis-arming....

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
If the bike runs fine, the turn signals work, the security system flashes the signals when arming, the TSSM is communicating with the ECM and the only part is you can't clear the 31 code, I bet there is nothing wrong with the bike or the TSSM. Just wait 50 key/start cycles and see if the code goes away.

To be honest I bet the clear procedure just does not work. Buy a new siren module, and see if it works. I have a feeling it will.:)

Back