free website stats program Dropped Helmet | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Dropped Helmet

I was working in a motorcycle store when this guy walks in with a beat up helmet. He starts looking at the new helmets, and I started talking to him -- I asked him what happened to the one he was carrying. He says, "I was run off the road the other day." I looked at his helmet again -- which was beat to crap -- and I asked him if he was OK, because the helmet looked like he had taken a rough fall.

The guy looks at his helmet and says, "Nah, I didn't drop the bike -- the guy wasn't paying attention and ran me off the road. I did this to the helmet when I caught back up to him and started beating his car with it."

True story!

:D

I was working in a motorcycle store when this guy walks in with a beat up helmet. He starts looking at the new helmets, and I started talking to him -- I asked him what happened to the one he was carrying. He says, "I was run off the road the other day." I looked at his helmet again -- which was beat to crap -- and I asked him if he was OK, because the helmet looked like he had taken a rough fall.

The guy looks at his helmet and says, "Nah, I didn't drop the bike -- the guy wasn't paying attention and ran me off the road. I did this to the helmet when I caught back up to him and started beating his car with it."

True story!

:D

Ah yes, that's using your nogg'in :hii

Most helmet makers, as well as the MSF, say 2,3 - 5 years of basically continuous wear is when you should probably replace a helmet.
Here's a link that gives more than you probably ever wanted to know about helmet test, specs, DOT, Snell, ECE and BSI rating. If you read it thoroughly you may decide you don't really need the expensive Snell rated lid at all. That the DOT or ECE cheapo one could fit the bill.
Motorcycle Helmet Design, Helmet Standards and Head Protection - Gear Box - Motorcyclist Online

Be aware that is long, but it does have some good info.
doc

I know it has been a while since any posts on this thread,but I ran across this video clip of Jay Leno,about helmet sizing,& the question came up about dropping the helmet....pretty informative.

Leno Helmet Talk

Ive dropped mine and still wore it. But.........I have seen where a few of you (including me) have wrecked. Did you replace your helmet then?

"I have seen where a few of you (including me) have wrecked. Did you replace your helmet then?"

Absolutely!!
I own 4 helmets at present. 1 is retired totally. 1 has about a year left on it, then out to pasture. 1 is 5 months old and the newest is about a month and a half. And shine em up with Pledge.
Peg has 3, none older than 2 yrs.

Ive dropped mine and still wore it. But.........I have seen where a few of you (including me) have wrecked. Did you replace your helmet then?

Pookibr, do not reuse a helmet that was protecting your head while in an accident. The exterior may show minor damage, but the inner EPS (Expanded PolyStyrene) styrofoam liner may be compressed in areas hidden from view and will not protect you from subsequent impacts. It is cheap when amortized over the normal life which is about 7 years if keep clean and stored indoors with reasonable care. Check out the Jay Leno video earlier...any new helmet, 1/2, 3/4, or Full is better than any used helmet, especially if the condition is unknown or may have a latent defect. :D

Dang and I just bought that helmet. I have another one but would like to get it painted. It is a couple years old.

pookibr, about the only time I will replace my helmet is after a crash God willing I won't ever have to replace it but, PLEASE REPLACE YOUR HELMET

Back