free website stats program Drive line issues | Harley Davidson Forums

Drive line issues

Tripacer

I hope im in the right section here
have a 97 EGlide 43K for miles only mods are Carb st1 kit Airfilter and VH mufflers EV 13 cam (because the old one wore a lob)

here is the issue i noticed yesterday for the first time took it on a interstate rdie cruiseing about 70mph pulled off for gas and heard a clicking sound pulled clutch and it stopped but as i was costing to a stop it felt like some one was putting on the brakes also noticed that Down shifting was a Bear really had to mash on the leffer to get it to down shift
pulled into a station and checked everything (brakes clutch play )nothing wrong
got gas and took off No noise tranny shifted fine about 25 miles down the road pulled into a rest area and had the Noise come back and again quit when clutch was pulled in think its coming from the right side
all the time the motor was running great only thing was that it was useing more gas than it used to but have not checked it since the instalation of the Cam so not real concerned (used to get about 45 but was done to 35 or so)
Decided not to continue the trip (was about half way there) tuned around at the next interchange and headed home again pulled of fthe road and noticed the the clicking noise as i was parking noticed that if you let the clutch out you would hear a noise like something was loose and you had to take up slack (again Real Hard to down shift ) had supper and filled with gas and did not hear the noise then when it cooled down got home OK but when i pulled up to garage notised a pool of BLACK OIL lear from under the primary (again was hard to down shift) in 08 had all the seals in the clutch area changed along with O rings and gaskets because it was leaking in this area Found Bad seals and spacer collar had DEEP grove
Tanny fluid is Red line and Just had changed oil in the motor before this trip
last year when it leaked you could see the color of the oil what is so Strange is how BLACK this is like something is Wearing BAD any Ideas besides trading it in on a new one hate to this runs so good and is all PAID for

Thanks

Tripacer,

Welcome to the Forum. You will find that there is lots of great info here on the self-help pages and in the heads of your fellow members.

Sorry to read about the troubles you are having. But in your description you mention a couple of clues:

1. There is black fluid dripping and pooling under the primary
2. You had the seals, oring and gasket on the primary changed last year
3. There was a groove on the race (you indicated spacer collar) on the tranny drive shaft

You did not indicate that the bearing in the primary housing was changed in '08. I would be suspicious of this bearing especially because of the groove in the spacer. If the bearing is bad, it can easily be over heating damaging the new seal and contributing to the black fluid under the primary.

So I would suggest draining the primary fluid and opening up the cover. When you do this, inspect the drain plug for more than normal metal bits. Also, does the oil smell burnt. This could indicate a burnt stator. Check the condition inside the primary, and then remove the compensator, clutch basket and chain. (Remember the clutch nut is a lefty).

When off, check the "feel" of the bearings in the clutch basket. Remove the inner primary housing and check the bearing in the housing. Also the condition of the seal.

Let us know what you find.

TQ

OK here is what i just found out
you were getting real close to the issue
here is what the local shop told me (they do mostly older Bikes like mine)
first off the were surprised i got home most of the time it leaves you stranded
they suspect that that the Secondary Drive pulley splines are wearing out
they said they spotted metal shavings in that area
They also said that with the age and miles on it that i should have had all the Bearings in the Transmission Changed and they REALLY say that needs to be done now because they suspect that the metal they spotted has also gotten into them
They said not to drive it till it could get into a shop to get fixed they cant get to it till the EOM so i took it back out to the storage hanger with all of my other Toys
I would like to do the work but they said that with what the special tools would cost they could do it
What about going to a Six speed at that time I really want to keep the bike and dont mind spending the money
to just Repaire it about $700 6 speed Extra

Thanks

Your choices on trannies vary widely with respect to price. Also, you have a choice to get the "builder's kit" that replaces the gear set in the 5-spd case with a 6-spd gear set. The major manufacturers offer both a complete assembled transmission and the builder's kit. The prices vary from about $700 for a builder's kit to over $3,000 for a complete DD6 from Baker. I would suggest getting on Google and searching for info on all the alternatives so you can make an informed decision.

TQ

The special tools you will need for the job will cost about 275-300 (if you get them from George`s Garage).

All new bearings and seals for the tranny will cost about $170, plus the cost of the new main drive gear (which was ruined by the loose pulley).

You could also try to find a used gearset, there are a lot of them out there that were removed because the owners went to 6 speed trannys.

The average price for gearsets (still mounted on the trap door) is around 150.

Check on ebay, also the local shops may have some gearsets, maybe someone on the forum has one they are not going to use.

Back