free website stats program Drive belt squeak | Harley Davidson Forums

Drive belt squeak

garlab1

hope someone can help, I recently had my bike serviced, my guy said the drive belt was too loose and tightened it up, now it squeaks something terrible, it would do it before this recent service but I could spray some belt conditioner on it and it would stop for a couple months, now the belt conditioner only works for a ride at best, I do have a custom chrome sproket on it and was told this is common with the chrome sproket, my mechanik said he heard the squeak and checked for rubbing and proper allingment, is it possible the belt is over tightened and thats causing the problem, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I like to keep my belts on the loose side a wee bit otherwise they will squeak on my evo dyna wide glide the belt tension should be checked with the normal load on the bike if the tension is checked with the bike on a lift then the tension will be incorrect

Brian

When I adjust the belt on my Dyna to H.D. specification it squeeks (chirps) especially when letting off the throttle. If I run it just a little looser than spec. it is silent.

Back