free website stats program Drive belt replacement for 2005 Heritage | Harley Davidson Forums

Drive belt replacement for 2005 Heritage

Skeeter05

Hi guys,
I'm a new member. One of the reasons I joined is to ask for advice on replacement belts. I've read some of the other threads and it looks like the recommendation is to stick to the Harley replacement belt instead of an after market.

My Heritage has 75,000 miles on it and the belt and rear sprocket are worn pretty bad. I haven't tore into it to see what the front sprocket looks like yet.

This is one of my winter projects this year so I've been pricing parts. There are some less expensive aftermarket belts available… I was just wondering if any are decent or should I just get a HD replacement.

Thanks for letting me join in.
Skeeter

Welcome from So. Texas. As far as your belts go I would stick with OEM . Gates also makes a good belt. I've heard they make them for HD but don't know for sure. I would replace both sprockets, due to Old Habits of the Chain & sprocket days.
tourbox

Your best bet is to go OEM and to replace both pulleys. I'm running an aftermarket 1" Dayco belt on my '94FLSTC, and so far (25,000mi) no problems.

Thanks Tourbox, you just confirmed what I was thinking. I'll get the OEM belt and both sprockets.

Luckily my local HD dealer has a 20% sale coming up this month.

Skeeter

Welcome from So. Texas. As far as your belts go I would stick with OEM . Gates also makes a good belt. I've heard they make them for HD but don't know for sure. I would replace both sprockets, due to Old Habits of the Chain & sprocket days.
tourbox

Your best bet is to go OEM and to replace both pulleys. I'm running an aftermarket 1" Dayco belt on my '94FLSTC, and so far (25,000mi) no problems.

Thanks Tourbox, you just confirmed what I was thinking. I'll get the OEM belt and both sprockets.

Luckily my local HD dealer has a 20% sale coming up this month.

Skeeter

Here is some solid info for y'all on gates belts and HD:s Gates belt technology helps Harley-Davidson racers with their need for speed - Design Flex® - Design Engineering | Gates Corporation

Last edited by a moderator:
Back