• Shop played me

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Shop was fair

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Not sure

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters
Yeah it can be.

Back when I had my old 250 sport bike, I broke down and bought a new chain. I cut the old one off with my chain splitter and threw a new one on even using a riveted master link and it all but took me 20 minutes. Most of that was getting my hands clean from the old nasty chain.

I think the chain was only $50 bucks at the time. I think it was a premium z link chain or something like that.

I called around, and according to book spec, 4 hours and at most shops hourly rate of ~$90/hour, it comes out to right around ~$550 for '04 1200R. Yikes!

One independent shop quoted 4.5 hours... but that was out of the 5 local bike shops, including the dealer.

Locally the price for a new Harley brand drive belt is $240.49 with tax included.

I'm glad I can do my own maintenance.

If you order belt online thru New Castle HD, you will see $160.54! :bigsmiley11:

If you order belt online thru New Castle HD, you will see $160.54! :bigsmiley11:

Oh, tell me about it! I've replaced a couple things for my bike, and used New Castle's online parts system... saved me lots of dough.

The only time I go local is if I need it in a pinch (and hope they got it in stock!) for an emergency.

But my bike has been extremely reliable and has never left me stranded in it's 80k miles since new.

A couple problems here and there... but I've always ironed them out and learned from it. All of it really didn't depend on Harley either... just the way it is. Most of all it's only been recent too. So maybe 70k miles of smiles with no problems... I'd say Harley makes a darn good product!

Yes! I did replaced the belt on my RK bike. I ordered the parts from New Castle for probably $250ish. I don't know what the total cost if I send the bike to dealer. I have heard they could charge me approximately $1000. If so then I saved $750! Geez!!! :swoon

Yeah, it's funny, sometimes these prices are insane to fix a bike.

For what it's worth... I'd rather be fixing it myself, then waiting around for someone else to screw it up.

I like to take some pride in my work too. :)

Back