free website stats program Does anyone change their own tires anymore? I did. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Does anyone change their own tires anymore? I did.

Nice job. I would rather take my time and not risk a mistake that could cost several hundred dollars to repair. :O

My favorite shop has a ratty neighborhood bar next door. I take the wheel in, drop it off and two cold ones later it's ready to pick up. Too nice a set up to not have it done.

I change tyres on dirt bikes only.
Tubeless tyres require significant air pressure to get them to seat onto the rim, and this is beyond my 12volt air compressor.My Harley is the only road bike I own fitted with tubed tyres; and I'm very unwilling to risk marring the rims with any form of tyre lever.Like others, I take the wheels off and go to a shop with hydraulic equipment

I ended up with one little nick on the aluminum. And it didn't need to happen. I was just careless when I was moving a bar, not actually using it. But it's tiny and no big deal. It was just the principle of the thing, I didn't want to see ANY marks but still got one.

I ended up with one little nick on the aluminum. And it didn't need to happen. I was just careless when I was moving a bar, not actually using it. But it's tiny and no big deal. It was just the principle of the thing, I didn't want to see ANY marks but still got one.
Composite tools, we had machines @ work, if you do your own tires this and dawn dish soap to seat the beads
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...s2&tag=webbikewcom-20&linkId=FVV7NDKQXVATNFNF

Last edited by a moderator:
Took my front wheel off last time and carried to MBHD, new tire, balance, and out the door ~ 20 minutes, I don't remember the cost.

The wife and I have been changing our own tires, after the first couple of tires, we bought some no-mar tools and that made things much better. The bike we have know has anti-lock breaks and she was so worried that I would mess them up, that she just would not help change them. Rear tire installed at H-D 457 ,break pads included (no labor on the pads) Think I'll try it by myself next time !!!

Already had a 21 gal air compressor, picked up one of those Harbor Freight manual machines and a balancer a few years ago, been changing my own tires ever since. With the right tools the job's a snap. At $50 per tire change at the shop I'd rather do it myself, save the cash and know the job was done right. And if not, I know who to blame.

Back