free website stats program Dobeck Test Evaluations. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Dobeck Test Evaluations.

Hey there guys, this is a review on the "GEN 3" Electronic Jet Kit brought to you by Doebeck Performance. I would like to say this was, oddly enough, my first install of a TFI on a bike to date, and I have owned over 10 bikes so far. Having said that I am no mechanic but do have a little experience working on bikes in general. When I had the unit in my hand and was getting ready to install it, I must admit I was expecting more to be in the plastic container I received: 1 sheet of paper instructions, couple tie wraps and a small box with a few wires attached to it, oh and a small reference card to record the preset setting. Good call! So maybe this doesn't need to be big to work, let's get to the install.

This being my first Harley, a 2005 Electra Glide Classic, I was a little hesitant before starting the project. What could go wrong????
1. Start by removing the seat.
2. Disconnect the negative battery terminal.
3. Remove the tank hold down bolt and loosen the neck bolts to allow the tank to pivot.
4. Prop up the tank enough to get yer small little hands in there. If you can! If not you may need to remove the tank but that's not my prob. :)
5. Remove stock harness and replace with EJK harness then plug stock harness into EJK piggyback. Repeat for other cylinder.
6. Route all wires back along the frame and tie wrap accordingly.
7. Reconnect negative terminal including the black ground cable that powers the unit.
8. Put the bike back together and FIRE IT UP! Sweet, all is well.
Of course all this work was done at the end of the riding season and I only had a couple rides to test out the new mod. There was a little more snap in the throttle then there was before but nothing earth shattering. I will have to wait until next season to truly play with it.

2011 Season starts with a new Arlen Ness Big Sucka Stage One A/C, so now with the EJK and the intake installed, I start to test the bike out a bit more. First off, the controller is a bit sensitive but with a little getting used to and remembering what colour light does what, you can navigate through changes easily enough to do it on the fly if you like. Definitely more power but the bike feels very bogged down due to the factory pipes. Stage 1 exhaust is a definite must. Unsure if there were any other issues, I did a compete fluid flush and replaced the plugs in order to get the best possible results after the exhaust arrives.

With a new set of Python Slip-ons in hand, I plan to complete the transformation and should be doing wheelies in no time with my full stage one done. I removed the stock exhaust and replaced it with the nearly hollow Python pipes. This should do the trick. I fire the pig up and WOW she got loud. :D Let's go for a ride. On the road I can notice the improvement right away. More power and better response, BUT there is a horrendous popping and backfiring issue on decel and occasionally when shifting gears. I talked to the team at Doebeck and they told me to cut the decel fuel back a notch and if that doesn't work try going up a notch. Tried both and no luck. I run the cruise fuel down a step and the others are stock. Checked the exhaust for leaks, nothing! Going to check the intake for leaks today. If not, I may try reducing the size of the baffle down to 1 3/4" from 2".

As a unit, the "GEN 3 Electronic Jet Kit by Doebeck Performance" was extremely easy to install and gives the user a lot of options when it comes to adjusting the different modes. The ability to change the settings on the fly is great, small size lets you stash it where ever you like and technical support was available quickly both times I needed it.

I have heard of the new GEN 4 with the air to fuel gauge and am quite excited to hear all about it soon.

few more pics...

Attachments

• iphone 019.jpg
    iphone 019.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 81
  • iphone 026.jpg
    iphone 026.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 79
  • iphone 027.jpg
    iphone 027.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 78
  • iphone 029.jpg
    iphone 029.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 78
  • iphone 030.jpg
    iphone 030.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 78
  • iphone 034.jpg
    iphone 034.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 79
  • iphone 033.jpg
    iphone 033.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 73
  • iphone 031.jpg
    iphone 031.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 77
  • iphone 032.jpg
    iphone 032.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 73
Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Dobeck TFI

Good Saturday morning Glider & Gents,
Im still smiling from ear to ear... because I DID IT !!!!!!!!!!
Goodness easy doesnt begin to describe it. Allow me to summarize exactly what I did:
1) Removed seat and at same time disconnected the negative battery terminal as mentioned in instructions.
2) I then removed the gas tank. Removal is really easy.. 4 bolts and gas line. I have read how some people just remove the back screw and tilt the tank up. I am against this. Remove the tank so you have room to work properly and freely.
3) I placed TFI unit right above the battery "area" and just dragged the 1st of two wires to the engine. Right on top between the two cylinders are the injectors with their plugs. Wires are red/yellow and so are the wires from Dobeck. Disconnect the HD wires, plug them into Dobeck plug, and then take the Dobeck wire and plug into the injector. This took 39 - 45 seconds.
4) Removed the right hand side rear side panel. It agains exposed the two O2 sensor plugs which are color coded. This was eaven easier as the actual plugs are each differently colored. One grey & the other black. Disconnected the HD plugs, pluged the Doebeck into bike & then the original plug into the Dobeck unit. Boy... this was 25 seconds.
5) I tightened battery terminal back properly.
6) Took some tie-wraps to properly tie the wires out of the way & out of sight. This is why its a good idea to have tank off. Spent at most 5 minutes properly tying the two wires.
7) Reinstalled everything.. crancked bike over and started much quicker then before install and Dobeck unit did the "green light / red light" signal to let me know all was kosher.

I am a NON technical guy who just doesnt like getting his hands dirty. This was fun !!! and easy as pie.

I also will tell you that at same time I installed the SE air intake. I was actually waiting for a Friend of mine to come over & do this part for me. But as I just removed the original air intake... I saw there was othing to it. 25 mnutes and stage 1 is done.

Guys... trust me.. EASY !!

Received mi TFI in the mail on Wednesday. This is going on an 07 Softail Custom with SE AC and V&H Bigshot staggered exhaust. Removed seat and negative battery terminal. Then removed tank for cleaner install of wiring and also for easier acsess to injector plugs. Changed the plugs around and tie wrapped everything along the frame to location under the seat. Also cleaned the top of the motor at this time. Much easier to do with the tank off with my big meathooks. Reinstalled tank making sure none of the new wiring was in the way or getting pinched. Then it was on to the O2 sensors. The front one is the easiest to get to for me. The back one takes a little more time as it is hidden under the oil tank. I hooked the negative battery terminal with the ground from the TFI up. Put gas back in the tank and fired it right up. Very easy install in my opinion. I didn't have a chance to do much else as it was late and did'nt want to wake my daughters the night before the first day of school. Will get a chance to make adjustments and test ride this afternoon and report back the results.

Here is one more Gen3 EJK install.

First step was to remove seat and disconnect the negative battery terminals. Next was to undo the tank panel (T25 torx) and rear fuel tank mount (T40 torx). Then I disconnected the fuel line from the tank by pushing up on the chrome collar while pulling down on the fuel supply line. This allows you to lift the fuel tank higher without damaging the fuel line. If you want to release all pressure from the system prior to doing this you can purge the system by disconnecting the fuel pump fuse, starting the engine and allow the bike to run until it runs out of fuel. I then used some rubber blocks to prop up the fuel tank high enough to gain access to the wire loom under the tank as well as giving more room to disconnect and reconnect the the injector wires.

I used a screw driver to pry open the wire loom under the tank and ran the EJK wiring harness inside the loom making for a clean install and reducing the chance of wires rubbing, etc. I then disconnected the injectors and reconnected them to the new EJK harness and made sure to zip tie all the wires securely.

There is a metal tab under the seat that can be pried up a bit and the EJK harness can be run under this as well. Next is to reattach the Negative Battery cables as well as the Black Ground wire for the EJK unit. Remember to apply some dielectric grease to all electrical connections before reassembly. On top of the battery is where this EJK unit will call home.

Next was to locate the front and rear O2 Sensor Plugs and install the O2 Sensor bypasses that came with the kit and safely secure them with zip ties. My front one resides under the VR and the rear one tucks up neatly under the Oil Tank. The last picture shows how I used my Boom Audio Tank Pouch to mount the unit on the fuel tank in case I want to adjust the EJK before mounting it to the battery.

All in all this is a very easy install that is furnished with everything needed along with detailed instructions from the manufacturer. Total time involved was less than an hour. The Gen 3 EJK performs as advertised. With its ease of installation and even easier ability to making adjustments on the fly, it is definitely a worthwhile investment. On my 2008 Heritage with Stage 1 A/C, V&H True Duals and S.E. 255 Cams, the below settings seem to be working nicely for the Gen3 EJK.

Green/3 - Yellow/4.5 – Red/3 – Green/Blue/2 – Yellow/Blue/4 – Red/Blue/4.5

I may consider changing the Green to a lower setting for long rides to reduce fuel usage. For now, plenty of power, no decel popping and no pinging under normal loads riding 2 up. Only time will tell for fuel mileage and the ease of use makes that a simple adjustment quickly performed as needed. What more can you ask for?

Attachments

• Step 5 Prop Tank.jpg
    Step 5 Prop Tank.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 58
  • Step 4 Fuel Line Disconnect.jpg
    Step 4 Fuel Line Disconnect.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 59
  • Step 3 Rear Tank Bolt.jpg
    Step 3 Rear Tank Bolt.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 56
  • Step 2 Tank Panel.jpg
    Step 2 Tank Panel.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 58
  • Step 1 Battery Disconnect.jpg
    Step 1 Battery Disconnect.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 60
  • Step 9 Secure Wires.jpg
    Step 9 Secure Wires.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 63
  • Step 8 Run Wires.jpg
    Step 8 Run Wires.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 55
  • Step 7 Run Wires.jpg
    Step 7 Run Wires.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 55
  • Step 6 Pry open Wire Loom.jpg
    Step 6 Pry open Wire Loom.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 56
  • Step 10 Cable Routing.jpg
    Step 10 Cable Routing.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Step 11 Final Mount Location.jpg
    Step 11 Final Mount Location.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 59
  • Step 12 Ft. O2 Sensor.jpg
    Step 12 Ft. O2 Sensor.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Step 13 Rr. O2 Sensor.jpg
    Step 13 Rr. O2 Sensor.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 57
  • Tank Mount for Tuning.jpg
    Tank Mount for Tuning.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 66
Well for any folks considering installing the Doebeck TFI unit, this a video I made of the install that will give you some heads up on what it entails.

I have other things goin on with my bike right now and due to waiting on parts ordered, I can't report yet on the road test results. However that should be pretty uneventful since mine is a stage 1 with a Dealer map download (came with the bike). So I will just set it halfway between stock settings and stage one settings and minor adjust (if necessary) from there. I don't use heat management other than turning my bike off if running much longer than 2 mins of stationary riding in hot weather. I decided on Doebeck to cool my engine down since for that it was the best deal for me. I'm not a drag racer, just a rider that wants a cooler good running engine.

For many of you this video will be redundant since you've already had your bikes apart and know more than me. But for first timers, I tried to cover all the key points. Mine is the standard turn the POTS type, I actually like this type although I'm sure the Gen models are great too.

So first is the fuel tank removal video, and then below it is the link for the actual TFI install video.

Tank Removal.
DynaTankRemoval.wmv - YouTube

TFI Install Part 1, Had to split into 2 parts for YouTube size limit.
TFI_Install_Part_1.wmv - YouTube

TFI Install part 2
TFI_Install_Part_2.wmv - YouTube

Later I experimented with different wire routes to get them a bit neater.
Here is my final tie job, having got the wires more in symmetry very few ties were needed.

Right side of bike Finished Wire tieing
1687876-T800600.jpg

Left side of bike Finished Wire tying.
1687877-T800600.jpg

In my video I added a note that Doebeck recommends bikes utilizing HD Heat Managment to plug the connectors with a double pinned red wire and a yellow wire to go to the front cylinder.

HOWEVER, on my Doebeck for a Dyna I had found NO yellow wire but one did have 2 red wires so I surmised this one was the power feed (for front injector).

EXCELLENT write up with videos to boot RWB.:naughty

The one thing that I can add is that when using the tie wraps to strap up the TFI wires on the backbone , keep in mind that you don't want them overly tight from the backbone to the engine because the engine being rubber mounted here will move a bit and could damage the wiring if strapped to tightly.

Also Home Depot carries an assortment of tie wraps and some are as long a 2 feet which make life a bit easier with a project like this one.

Thanks for an excellent job!!

Any questions about any of the installations can be asked in this thread now, just make reference to which installation you are asking about.

Thanks all!

Last edited:
Back