free website stats program Dobeck or V & H Fuelpack | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Dobeck or V & H Fuelpack

Not that V&H products are bad - I've owned/installed quite a few of their exhausts. Never heard of Dobeck until I purchased my 09 FLHX & joined this site, but the TFI was perfect addition to my bike. I've always been the "tinkering" kind & like having old-school adjustments vs. computer-connected #'s. TFI pretty much adjusts like the old carb scoots & I can always make minor adjustments, when needed.

Now from what I've been reading w/feedback on the GEN4 - might have to give this one a try next b/c another think I like are gauges...;)

I actually have been paying fairly close attention to these debates on this and other forums. From the sounds of it, the concensus seems to be the Dobeck.
Personally, I have just ordered the Dobeck Gen. 4 for my Fatty. This decision came after using the Powercommander V and being left wanting something more. Why? Well, when it came to light that using that (without the self-tuner, and even then, to a degree) was basically "fooling" the ECM into different A/F mixtures. From personal experience, mine never seemed to run the same way twice.
My next idea was either the Dynojet Powervision or waiting for the Thundermax to come out for 2011 softails. What I liked about the Powervision was the ability to "reprogram" the ECM using real-time readings. I also liked the idea of the Thundermax where they just replace the ECM and, using the equipment on the bike--and there is a TON of variables you can program in there. Everything from aftermarket exhaust to aftermarket cams is adjustable in the T-Max. Problem is, I'm EXTREMELY impatient--it's still not out! The problem with the Powervision? It's proprietary... You can only use it on ONE bike. You can use it on that one bike as many times as you like, but for $500+, I was having trouble seeing the value.
Enter the Dobeck. I have yet to hear a bad word about them. The Generation 4 provides real-time, analog gauged information about how rich/lean/mid-range your bike is running at any given time and the ability to make on-the-fly adjustments. THIS is the part that sold me! If I want to richen up the passing gear? Done! If I want to lean out the cruising speed? Done! With all this taken into account, the Dobeck is on its way!
With my impatient nature, rest assured it'll be installed the same day it's delivered! Unfortunately, I'll probably not be able to do anything in the way of performance reviews until the spring... Anyway, thought I'd share the stuff I learned from doing some research...

Den

Good info! Thanks, Steve. I'll probably freeze my fingers off trying to install it next wednesday when it shows up! I'll post a review of my own this spring when it's warm enough to actually put it through its paces...

Den

You won't be sorry that you went with the Gen4.
I have 5000 miles on mine since I installed it and not a problem.
I have ridden from sea level to 6000 ft. above and with the push of a button can change the AFR for extremely different altitudes.
I find the only pot that has to change with altitude variation is the cruise (yellow)

HAd a doebeck wich unfortunatly died ( a wire got loose from inside the unit) had a Fuel pack fitted as it was a warrenty thing an thats all they had in. still have some popping and somerough running at low rev's. Fairly sure if i had a doebeck i could just tweak that all out. haven't seem any Gen 4's for sale in England yet and the company selling doebeck units over here seems to have gone under ( i'm guessing not from selling the fuelers) so i'm upset :newsmile08:
so prob have to bite the bullet and order from the US of A...
i vote dobeck :bigsmiley11:

HAd a doebeck wich unfortunatly died ( a wire got loose from inside the unit) had a Fuel pack fitted as it was a warrenty thing an thats all they had in. still have some popping and somerough running at low rev's. Fairly sure if i had a doebeck i could just tweak that all out. haven't seem any Gen 4's for sale in England yet and the company selling doebeck units over here seems to have gone under ( i'm guessing not from selling the fuelers) so i'm upset :newsmile08:
so prob have to bite the bullet and order from the US of A...
i vote dobeck :bigsmiley11:

How old was your Dobeck, did you check about Warranty and mention you are a member here for the discount?

I am also looking at going either the gen 3 or 4 on My 2012 road glide ultra .. I do have the screaming eagle air cleaner ,, rush slip ons ,, and cat removed from the head pipe with stage 1 download... Is there an advantage other than the guage to going with gen 4

Back