free website stats program Do you practice emergency procedures? | Harley Davidson Forums

Do you practice emergency procedures?

Do you practice emergency stop and avoidance procedures?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SledDog

Staff member
Well...

Since I asked that why does "someone" setup a poll and ask this question, I guss I should be the one.

So, do you? Have you practiced emergency and avoidance maneuvers? Or are you will to? Do you think there is no need?

Please do not count any organized riders course. I'm talking about going to a parking lot, or where ever, to practice..

Vote and add you coments...

When ever i get a new bike i take it somewhere quiet and try to find its limits and to get comfortable with the feel of it
and give each of the bikes an anual test as part of their main service time includes emergency stop and various handling tests

Brian

Keep it coming guys... Please excuse the spelling errors.. I set this up real quick as I'm about out the door to get to my Xmas destination...

I try to head up to the empty school parking lot for 10 or 15 minutes every month or so. Probably should do it more often but I don't. I start by practicing straight ahead emergency stops at slowly increasing speeds up to about 30MPH or so - pretty much all I can get up to in the lot where I practice. Then I work on "ride like a pro" stuff - minimum radius left and right hand turns and figure eights.

It's amazing but I always feel a little more confident and in control of my bike after one of these sessions, even if it's only five minutes.

I don't want to hijack the thread/poll but I'd love to know how many folks practice this same type of stuff with a passenger along. I keep meaning to bribe my wife into riding up to the school with me so I can get better at riding with her on the back.

Well when i got my bike i checkrd out the brakes, never had a new bike w/ good breakes. how it stopped w/ out locking up the tires on hwy & afew basic manuovers then winter set in ill continue in spring the things i know how to do..

I try to head up to the empty school parking lot for 10 or 15 minutes every month or so. Probably should do it more often but I don't. I start by practicing straight ahead emergency stops at slowly increasing speeds up to about 30MPH or so - pretty much all I can get up to in the lot where I practice. Then I work on "ride like a pro" stuff - minimum radius left and right hand turns and figure eights.

It's amazing but I always feel a little more confident and in control of my bike after one of these sessions, even if it's only five minutes.

I don't want to hijack the thread/poll but I'd love to know how many folks practice this same type of stuff with a passenger along. I keep meaning to bribe my wife into riding up to the school with me so I can get better at riding with her on the back.
====================================================
I do the same thing at a different school.:laugh
My wife's not interested in me scaring her, so no to that part. But we do practice slow riding at the first few stop signs/lights, quite different with 2.

Since the wife started riding we do this quite often. Helps her get her comfort level up (and mine too). Bought some of those little orange cones at Wally world and lay out a course. Quick stops, swerve and stop, pretty much run down the riders course list. We make an event out of it so it stays fun.

It has been a little over a year. A Gold Wing group in Jackson, Ms. invited the PGR to their safety course. I did it two up. Made my wife feel a little more at ease back then. Now she falls asleep on the highway!:D

But I do need to practice more often.

When I started riding I took a safety course near my home. The course is painted on a school lot and I told myself that I would come back on my own from time to time but I never have. Thanks for the reminder, I think I will run the course a few times when I uncover the bike next spring. It is good to stay alert!

I had to vote, "Yes in the last month". But, I'm probably one of the "special cases".

As an MSF Rider Coach, I have to be able to demonstrate the techniques to the students, so I figure I should probably practice on my own on occasion.

Honestly, I do think it's important that all riders should take the 20 minutes to practice their swerves, quick stops, and even convenience maneuvers like "figure eights" and what not once a month or so. It's all muscle memory, right?

If you don't practice how do you know you'll be able to do it if you ever have to?

Back