free website stats program do I only check oil when hot | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

do I only check oil when hot

I just read the service manu but it does not explain the sump issue. It had set for two months but I started it about 3 to 4 times. When I checked it, it did not read any oil on the stick so I added some, I added a whole quart and it just started to show. After I ran it for about 3 min I checked it again and it was way high, I had to drain out about 3/4 of a quart. Where did it go how does this sump oil pan work? If a Harley sits for a short time does this usally happen? Thanks for the help.

Dave,

Most of use know how a car engine works, oil sits in the oil pan (sump) at the bottom of the engine and is splashed and pumped around where it is needed. Not so on your bike, the oil is pumped into the engine and routed where it is needed and then pumped back out to the oil tank, very little is left sitting in the bottom of the engine. There is a check valve on the oil pump that keeps the oil tank from leaking into the engine when it's not being run. These valves sometimes leak a little and the oil pools in the bottom of the motor, it's called (sumping). When you start the motor the sump oil returns to the tank and all is normal, if you have added oil then it will be overfull after you run it.

Doug

Look through this link, explains the issue and the fix..

68-99 Oil Pump Check Valve Repair - Big Boyz Head Porting

D

Last edited by a moderator:
Oil is draining from your oil tank into your engine cases. When you start it and warm it up the oil pump pushes it through the engine back to the oil tank. Thats why you need to check it hot.

AZDave; This "sumping" is peculiar to softails. The oil tank is under the seat, or above the engine "sump". Dyna's and touring models have the oil tank under the transmission, below the engine so it's not a problem. Softails have the tank in that position because the shocks are under the trans.

On my 05 Ultra Classic, book says to run bike, stop let it idle for about 2 minutes and check oil on jiffy stand. It also says it should be between the full and add line which means it is safe to run. I would refer to your owners manual for your bike though.

Thanks everyone I took out the oil I added and went out today for a ride after work. When I came home it was at the full line when hot. You are all a great source of info I have learned alot and will in the future.

kinda late here, but when I checked my oil after riding a while - hot engine - the oil in the tank was foamy! (I looked inside using a flashlite) making it difficult to get a good level reading on the dipstick. Is this normal for the oil to be so foamy? IF so, then should I wait until the bike has cooled down and the oil not so foamy to check the levels? IF so, will the level be accurate?

Bill

kinda late here, but when I checked my oil after riding a while - hot engine - the oil in the tank was foamy! (I looked inside using a flashlite) making it difficult to get a good level reading on the dipstick. Is this normal for the oil to be so foamy? IF so, then should I wait until the bike has cooled down and the oil not so foamy to check the levels? IF so, will the level be accurate?

Bill

After a ride my oil has a thin layer of foam too, but it's not thick enough to effect the 'hot oil level check'. I believe the foam is created by the hot oil dropping down from the return line to the oil level in the oil bag thus causing the oil to foam. Just my opinion.....

Did you sit on the bike and stand it up? If you check it while it is on the kickstand all the oil will flow to the left side of the tank and you will not get a reading.

Back