free website stats program Do I have crusie control....sort of? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Do I have crusie control....sort of?

In addition to the "cramp buster" type device, I also have a "klever lever" that makes using the throttle lock quick and maybe safer. I don't use it for cruise control per se, just when I want to shake my hand out for a bit. I got mine on ebay for less than $6 shipped. Others make them in metal for $18.The Klever Lever comes in Black or Chrome

I guess I'm a bit weird, but does anybody use the Crampbuster as a thumb control? That is, instead of mounting it for palm pressure, mounting it inboard so that the thumb rests on it. I find I have better control that way and better unobstructed leverage for the brake lever that way. Personally, I love the things and haven't been without one on every bike I've owned.

As was mentioned above, that star thumb wheel throttle brake is a hold-over from days with carbs on the engine. It would allow the rider to fire up the bike using the enricher, and then "freeze" the throttle at some rpm (like between 1,200 and 1,500) and close the enricher but still let the engine warm up enough before taking off. This is important in the EVOs to extend the life of the base gaskets.

But remember, there are NO safety controls when the throttle is mechanically set in any particular position. So if an emergency happens (like a flat, something in the road, other traffic braking quickly, or worse) when the throttle is braked at a particular setting, YOU have to release the throttle brake. IMHO, this is a very dangerous practice.

TQ

... One thing you don't want to do though, is to unscrew it too far or it will pop the retainning ring off inside the housing and the the thumb screw will vibrate out and be lost, then you'll go to the dealership to buy a new $6.00 thumb screw and end up spending over $100.00 before you get out the door...

Sounds like experience talking :D

Sounds like experience talking :D

Yep. Me too. And the other extreme too. If the thumb wheel is tightened too hard, it will break the half moon plastic "shoe". Same result, but you will also have to get one of those!

TQ

i was told the thumb srews are a ting of the past or for carb fed engines, to helpo them warm up, i dont touch mine since i have EFI

They may have originally been intended for warming up carbed engines but my 2007 EFI Sporty had one and the owner's manual called it a throttle friction adjuster. Everyone likes a different amount of resistance in the grip rotation wise and this lets you adjust that. MOCO didn't intend for it to morph into a cruise control but that's what enterprising Harley riders figured out all on their own!

I have a 07 Heritage. There is a little cog wheel at my right thumb. Is this some sort of cruise control or what? Sorry, dumb question, I'm sure.

There is no such thing as a dumb question. Some times it is dumb not to ask it. I didn't and I have used it as a form of cruise control without even thinking about the consequences. I won’t be doing it anymore. The palm rest sounds like a plan.

There is no such thing as a dumb question. Some times it is dumb not to ask it. I didn't and I have used it as a form of cruise control without even thinking about the consequences. I won’t be doing it anymore. The palm rest sounds like a plan.

Ain't this the greatest site ever? :D

Even if you don't post a specific question you can always sit back and learn from what others are asking and saying!

I'm guessing I AM the weird one. I just find I have more control with the Crampbuster by positioning it so that my thumb presses it. This, of course, has nothing to do with that little throttle lock thingie on the bottom of the right handlebar on our bikes. Strictly a Crampbuster thing.

Back