free website stats program Do camshafts change the sound of the exhaust? | Harley Davidson Forums

Do camshafts change the sound of the exhaust?

Dswartz

I am upgrading to the roller cam chain tensioners this winter. While in the cam chest it would be easy to upgrade camshafts as well. To be honest I really dont care about the extra horsepower but if it gave the bike some extra sound it would be worth it to me. Call me crazy but I dont think a bike can ever be too loud. So would a camshaft upgrade change the sound of the exhaust?

Changing the cam would alter the sound from the exhaust

Brian

Cams definitely change the exhaust note. Higher the lift and longer the duration the more the change. On a 88in motor with stock heads a 510 lift is about as big as you can go..SE203s..Andrews21or 26.. SS510s..woods 6 any of these cams are a good bolt in cam for a 88in. You will definitely hear the difference and love the added power.

Sure, just changing the air cleaner would change it , higher lift and more duration on the cam will sustain the exhaust note:s

Thanks for all the replies. I still haven't decided if I am going to upgrade or just stay with the stock cams, but the new sound might just make it worth it to me. I'll do some more reading and try to decide which cam I want if I do in fact upgrade. Thanks again everybody.

Back