free website stats program DIY tool for changing fork oil/spring | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

DIY tool for changing fork oil/spring

To extend forks fully all that is needed is to lift up on the handlebars or under the Tripple Tree. Not that heavy.

For non sporty guys : Sportster fork caps hold the spring. You can take them off with forks down as long as you are ready for spring tension. However it is hard to push the capon and push the spring all the way down unless forks are extended. You can put on a jack but it is not very stable and you have to push down on the cap very hard. My way there is no issue with bike comming off of the jack and it takes a second to install the device.

Up to now I only had DIY tools for boating, this is my first one for the Bike. Second one made same day. Rear Belt tension tool. Used the 10lb harley tool and added a pointer to it. Pulled the clip from a tire pressure gauge and snapped it to side of the tool, bent it out 90degrees and ground a point on it with bench grinder. Use ruler by the belt and use tension tool. Can now measure exact 1/4 to 3/8 travel.

I guess this post belongs to the DIY tool thread.

Very good tips and kudos on making your own tools:s

Back