free website stats program Discontinued Seal/Gasket for Gas Gauge Cavity | Harley Davidson Forums

Discontinued Seal/Gasket for Gas Gauge Cavity

Mike Lowes

I have a fuel leak from the gas tank in my 1999 Road King FLHRCI. I've changed the gasket that's available but notice there is still fuel leaking through the seal/gasket where the wire connects. Harley tells me that this part is discontinued. Any ideas on where I can get this part? I've got a picture attached.

Attachments

• gasket.jpg
    gasket.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 19
When you installed the gasket ,was the contact-surface totally clean. There might be some old gasket-pieces left behind ,preventing it from sealing properly.
The pn you are looking for is 61234-88a. For example :
http://www.eharleyparts.com/cart/Harley-Davidson_GASKET,_FUEL_SENDER_61324-88A_61324-88A
greetz.

Thank you so much for the response. After replacing the gasket I still had a leak (I believe I got it cleaned off really well). When I looked at it, I noted that the fuel was coming through the part with the yellow arrow pointing to it in the picture. I believe the other gasket wouldn't stop fuel from coming up through there. Am I wrong about that?

Attachments

• gasket.jpg
    gasket.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 18
I, am not sure , as I said there could be old gasket-parts ,on both the tank its self ,and on the sendingunit as well.
See drawing , it looks genuine !.
gasket.png

I, am not sure , as I said there could be old gasket-parts ,on both the tank its self ,and on the sendingunit as well.
See drawing , it looks genuine !.
View attachment 18901

Thanks again but I honestly don't think you are reading my question. I know about the gasket and I know it's part number. I've installed the gasket properly. It is a different part that is discontinued by Harley. It's the seal that has the big yellow arrow pointing to it that has fuel coming through it (no fuel is coming through around the gasket).

Attachments

• gasket.jpg
    gasket.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 18
Hard to say ,maybe the gasket you used ,has a bigger inside hole, so it does not cover the center connection.
Maybe you can use a O-ring for it ??.

good luck.

Thanks again but I honestly don't think you are reading my question. I know about the gasket and I know it's part number. I've installed the gasket properly. It is a different part that is discontinued by Harley. It's the seal that has the big yellow arrow pointing to it that has fuel coming through it (no fuel is coming through around the gasket).

So are you saying that gas is actually coming thru the gasket, if so, it sounds like the material is porous to gasoline and is of the wrong material. If that is the case you may be able to create one from a suitable material using the gasket you have as a template.

Unfortunately some of the '99-'00 parts have been discontinued or are obsoleted. There is a way for dealers to search a national dealer data base to search inventory for those parts but I don't know how to do that; talk to your dealer. Also there are dealers that advertise discontinued and obsolete parts; Google "Discontinued Obsolete Harley Davidson Parts" and some will pop up; call or submit a parts request; you may get lucky.

A friend recently bought a '99 FLHT and all the tank innards are shot; tank had to be removed and relined. He has had difficulty searching for the sending unit and other tank hardware. There are some of these parts in the aftermarket and he may have to go there to find the sending unit. We did find a complete assembly at Tri Starr for $189. You may have to do something like that to stop the leak.;)

Back