free website stats program discontinued cruise control | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

discontinued cruise control

Wonder with the CAN network if the MOCO will extend or add components to the emission warrty??

I did not even know there was a separate emission warranty. That is a good point. Are O2 sensors presently covered under any extended emissions warranty? If they are not (and they really should be when you think about it) my guess will be CAN network won't be included in anything except the 2 year warranty.

I never did read what my warranty covers so I am just guessing.

I had a similar problem with a part, turns out the part still exists but under a different p/n. What about the current cruise control, won't work?

As was stated above check with other dealers. I had the parts guy (new one) tell me something was discontinued. Well usually it means that they added a new letter and its available as another part number. I can't believe they would discontinue so soon. I purchased one for an 05 last year and and 03 the year before and had no problems whatsoever. When I'm checking the Chicago HD site if the part shows up with nothing I usually drop the last letter or so and it will find all the items with those common numbers up to that point. Usually I find what I want. Hope that helps.:34:

Well here is my issue. I just bought my 07 FLHX this July and I love it. Now after putting a few thousand miles on it I want to add the factory cruise control to it. I thought this was going to be a quick and easy install for the dealership. Well when I called to get one ordered I was told that it does not show up as a part that they can order out of the new catalog. So the fella looked in one of the older catalogs and found the part number so he punched into the computer and it came up as a discontinued item. So then he called and looked some more and there are only 3 dealerships in the US that show they have one in inventory and also he mentioned that he wasn't sure if the other dealerships were willing to part with them. Now why in the world would you discontinue such an item so soon?? Also what about the bikes that already have them on it and they go bad or need to be replaced due to an accident? Can someone shed some light on this as to why HD would do this?Is there an aftermarket substitute for this cruise control?
Harley shows a Cruise Control kit for the 07 Road King, Part # 77197-07, you can take a look at the instruction sheet by downloading the PDF from the site. I'm not sure what the difference between the parts are. I would tend to think the dealer could look up the parts in a 07 Electra Glide Classic (that came with cruise) and order the parts for you, probobly cost a little more but I'm pretty sure Harley hasn't changed things that much and those parts should be avalible for 5 to 7 years before they become obsolite.

I did not even know there was a separate emission warranty. That is a good point. Are O2 sensors presently covered under any extended emissions warranty? If they are not (and they really should be when you think about it) my guess will be CAN network won't be included in anything except the 2 year warranty.

I never did read what my warranty covers so I am just guessing.

Bet The Feds will step in here they are always on The MOCO any way why should this not be?

Here is my guess on this strange but true claim..... Is it possible that HD discontinued the item? Yes, it may be a simple part number error or change,. I have found that part number changes often take 4-6 months to reach dealer memos and are not updated until the yearly catalog changes are made.

Remember..... after appx 2007, the number of baggers that went out the factory door with cruise control sharply increased. Was this to justify a higher price tag? Perhaps, but my guess is that it was part of the re-design headed for the 2009 touring models. The frame changed and so did a number of factory options. Kind of a chance to "re-invent" the new model year.
I installed the cruise control on my 07 bagger with no problems at all and it only took about an hour and 20 minutes or so. Perhaps HD was looking to capitalize on the dealer install time in order to increase profits but failed to notify dealers in a timely manor. It has happened mant times in the past and I'd bet this is just another addition to "Factory techincal glitches"
I doubt this post helps, but it may provide some insight as to where it is rooted.

Perhaps if it keeps up, the way of emissions and warranties (separate and such), the MOCO will be forced to supply all of the supporting documentation, with regards to the manufacturer technical service bulletins (HD Tech Tips) to the general public, in an effort to support repairs to sustain emission control operation by aftermarket shops???????

Who knows, it happened with the others (vehicle manufacturers). Before long perhaps the motorcycle world will be considered on an even playing field as automobiles with regards to available factory information distribution.

Are we talking about a single part or a install kit for cruise control for a complete install, I can't imagine not being able to get a part necessary to repair a broken unit so early, and I think by law manufacturers have to keep parts available to customers for a 10 year period on new model years, may'be if its a kit for a added option on a bike they may not have to produce it if there is not enough demand for it, and possibly any dealers who have this kit figure it may be more advantageous to keep it for themselves figuring should they get a customer who wants an install they may make more money selling and installing the whole unit.

Good point Hoople.
Wonder with the CAN network if the MOCO will extend or add components to the emission warrty??

Being a motorized vehicle and subject to EPA standards I would say yes, just like autos and trucks JMO

and I think by law manufacturers have to keep parts available to customers for a 10 year period on new model years,

That is not true. The manufactures don't have to do it. Besides they can play sneaky and say the part you need IS STILL AVAILABLE but only as a up-level assembly. As an example, you may need a starter drive pinion. The pinion was available by itself for two years after the bike was manufacture. But now it is only available as a up-level part which in this case would be the entire starter.

Honda is great for that. Need a simple transmission part for your 6 year old civic? It better be a part used in today's models because if it isn't you may be looking at an entire section of transmission to get it.

Oh, it is available, so they are not breaking any "law".. It's just not affordable.

Back