free website stats program dirty tank | Harley Davidson Forums

dirty tank

softail00

I am in the process of tearing the bike down for a paint job. I took the gas tank off and drained the gas and noticed little chunks of stuff in it took the petcock off and the filter had dirt in it also my questions are do I replace the filter or the whole petcock? How do I flush my tank?:newsmile047:

What are the little chunks? if they are dirt and debree flush the tank with laquer thinner ( the residue will evaporate) If it is rust flush it with muratic acid then hot water then blow it out with compressed air with an air dryer in line or at the compressor and yes change the filter. Remove the petcock before you do any of this

You can either back flush the filter on the petcock or replace it. It's basically only a screen to catch rocks etc.

As far as the tank, flush it out with some fresh gas if it is something that you think came from the gas station and do as Steve said if it's rust. If the tank has a coating inside it, I would use something other than the lacquer thinner as suggested.

Is it a stock HD tank or aftermarket replacement tank?Its becoming common for the new gas to eat up the liners used on aftermarket tanks.

Back