free website stats program Direct Headlight replacement for 5-3/4" sealed headlight | Harley Davidson Forums

Direct Headlight replacement for 5-3/4" sealed headlight

CajunMan

I have a 1998 1200s with the stock headlight. The problem is that on low beam the light is almost non-existent. I've tried new light from J&P and checked the wiring/voltage (they are ok). It there a direct replacement for the 5-3/4" sealed beam headlight? Any suggestions, very dangerous from my standpoint.

I am pretty sure you can go to a non-sealed beam 5 3/4 like I have on my bike. Then you can select all sorts of bulbs that have more wattage. You also can take it 1 step further and get a non DOT enclosure that is designed for an HID cartridge. Lot of $ and work but I bet the results would make anyone happy.
I agree, even my non-sealed 5 3/4 leaves a lot to be desired.

A few months back there was a thread (under lighting) that was jammed packed with info on headlight conversion kits. Sorry I can't put my finger on the thread but it had "HID" in the topic title.

I am pretty sure you can go to a non-sealed beam 5 3/4 like I have on my bike. Then you can select all sorts of bulbs that have more wattage. You also can take it 1 step further and get a non DOT enclosure that is designed for an HID cartridge. Lot of $ and work but I bet the results would make anyone happy.
I agree, even my non-sealed 5 3/4 leaves a lot to be desired.

A few months back there was a thread (under lighting) that was jammed packed with info on headlight conversion kits. Sorry I can't put my finger on the thread but it had "HID" in the topic title.

Brighter Headlights - Harley Davidson Community May be This Hoop?

Jack, That is a Great link but that's not the one. A member had asked about HID lamps and another member provided a web site that sold Euro fixtures of all types including HID enclosures.

I am still waiting for HD to release a unit like they did for the 7" round. If I had 7" round I would buy the HD optional kit tomorrow.
I would pay anything to have a quality Hi-Lo HID setup for 5 3/4" that had a true razor edge light cutoff.

Back