free website stats program Dielectric grease-how much? | Harley Davidson Forums

Dielectric grease-how much?

Jdsmitty10

As I look at the installation instructions for the power commander on its way to my house... I see it suggests using dielectric grease on the connections. how much should i use? just a little? pile it in there? never used it before...

thanks

On any connectors that may be exposed to moisture or water, there is nothing wrong with putting plenty. It's a great water repellent. The telephone company packs their splices and connections all the time. But they have deep pockets!:p

You want to use enough to cover all the exposed metal and a bit over on the insulators to keep water out and reduce corrosion. If you can, try working a bit into/under the wire covering to help seal it from water intrusion. But more grease just gobbed on there does not accomplish anything other than potentionally make a mess.

TQ

You can buy a large tube of silglide same stuff from Napa and use it on all your rubber parts also its a lot cheaper than paying The Stealer for a smaller tube

As others have said, enough to displace water intrusion and not make a mess (depends on how much it is disturbed)...like trailer connections, use a lot, because it is mated often, and you do not usually have tube around when "fiddling" with connection. Larger amounts can be obtained in fairly descent size tubs or tubes from either HD, auto parts store or RV parts & accessories place.

Back