free website stats program Did my dealer fool me? | Harley Davidson Forums

Did my dealer fool me?

Lebowski

I have a flstn 2008 and installed V&H big shots + screaming eagle airfilter, also purchased a screaming eagle super tuner pro. My dealer installed the pipes and filter and as he said he tuned my ECU using the tuner for high air flow. I have a lot of backfiring on decceleration and the engine goes very hot:( Did my dealer lie about tuning my ECU properly??

I had the same thing on my 06 FLSTC/I , Bud white helped me tweek my pcm map, and that helped alot.
I had my local H-D dealer dyno tune my bike,but it Decelled popped, idle would not return to idle very quick, and the engine ran hot. So the second Dyno tune from the dealer fixed the decell popping ,but it was way to rich on the low end and to lean on the mid and high end. so with Buds help it ran better. but still to lean on top and mid range,idle still not returning to idle very quick. so I down loaded the V&H down load for my application and it was better but to rich in all ranges.
So I then installed the first dyno tune with the decell popping and manually change the fuel settings to Low +1, MID +2, HIgh +1 by pushing the buttons on the front of the PCM. yours could be different but you can manually chage it by pressing the LOW ,MID, HI ,leaner or richer. the PCM instructions should be in the box the unit came in if not go to Welcome to Power Commander, Power Commander V, Power Commander III USB and Power Commander EX Fuel Injection Module and copy the down load instructions. the bike runs the best I've ever seen it run. no decell popping,mid and hi range no to lean anymore. hope this helps.PJ

Sounds like they just downloaded a canned map.Might have to put it on the dyno and have a custom map done.should fix your decel pop.

I have a flstn 2008 and installed V&H big shots + screaming eagle airfilter, also purchased a screaming eagle super tuner pro. My dealer installed the pipes and filter and as he said he tuned my ECU using the tuner for high air flow. I have a lot of backfiring on decceleration and the engine goes very hot:( Did my dealer lie about tuning my ECU properly??

Hi Lebowski

A download from a fueler for a specific set of running conditions is not always spot-on.
A motorcycle's injection system responds according to ambient temperature, air pressure etc etc...
Therefore if the bike is run from the UK (colder ambient) to lets say Cyprus (hotter ambient) you would expect to "fine tune" the fueler for the specific set of running conditions.
The ECU and fueler cannot tolerate 100% these climate changes.
So H-D or any other fueler would load the maps on the web/fueler systems on an average set of values.
Thats why our friends correctly advice dyno test runs for fine tuning.
You should not believe that your dealer fooled or lied to you as they have been professionally set for many years and have done this sort of mods with no problems whatsoever and believe me i know.
The small market does not tolerate the dealer to fool or lie to you as word to mouth spreads lightning fast and would cause problems.
The specific dealer is also dealing with Ducati and Polaris ATV and has dealt with numerous mods and alterations.
Unfortunately the dealer is not equipped with a Dyno since the market is small to compensate the investment but they have partners that deal exclusively with Dynos.
However, the SST pro is capable of decreasing/increasing various values to fine tune the system and this is done through professional Harley-Davidson University (HDU) training.
Why don't you visit the dealer to do so and in case this is not fixed they would arrange a dyno to see which values are sensitive to cause backfires.

Thanks for your attention

Hi Lebowski

The specific dealer is also dealing with Ducati and Polaris ATV and has dealt with numerous mods and alterations.
Unfortunately the dealer is not equipped with a Dyno since the market is small to compensate the investment but they have partners that deal exclusively with Dynos.

Thanks for your attention

Concerning your comment quoted above...

Curious to know how you know what dealer is involved here when you make mention of the other brands they handle as there was no mention of it in the post and you seem to have more than an interest in this post being you just joined today.

Maybe you can elaborate here for us?

Are you this dealer or a dealer tech?

All the dealer normally does is download the closed MAP that comes with the tuner. It is common for this to be close but not perfect, i.e. the decel popping you are experianceing. You can read the electronic manual on the CD that came with it and give it a shot yourself or you can get it professionaly tuned on a Dyno and get a custom MAP built for your bike.

You might get it closer than it is right now, but you're not likely to get it nearly as good as a pro with a dyno. If you do it will be pure luck.

Having said that, I am happy with the performance I get from the standard MAP that I made a few small tweeks to.

If you opt for a dyno tuner, ask around and find one who is familiar with the Race Tuner. Most tuners perfer the Power Commander and are familiar with it. You don't want to be paying the tuner by the hour for him to be reading the manual trying to figure out how to use the device.

Agreed Elmosac. Thanks for your reply.

Another quote i came accross last night searching through my books:

Quote: "It is likely that you will not remove the popping completely." - EFI Fine Tuning.

Also i agree with Elmosac there is no point throwing USD (or Euros) around to Dyno tuners reading the SST manual.

A "manual" fine tune will definitely make a difference and your dealer can and is willing to help you out.

Glider lets say i am a person that has customer satisfaction above anything else :s

Glider lets say i am a person that has customer satisfaction above anything else :s

But you still didn't answer the question I asked. "Are you this dealer or a dealer tech?" based on your answers here.

"Another quote i came accross last night searching through my books:

Quote: "It is likely that you will not remove the popping completely." - EFI Fine Tuning."

Back