free website stats program deuce rear tire help please | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

deuce rear tire help please

Sounds like you have a better plan now. Just a "heads up" incase you don't already know. Tire pressures that you are use to go out the window when using ME880's.. Depending on your size, it can be 44 to 48 psi when cold. Be absolutely sure to run the correct pressure. It is a must with those tires. Don't go by what the guy selling you the tires says or what the owners manual on your bike says. Read all the information Metzlers has printed and published about those tires. I personally would not mix (front/back) those tires with any other brand or model. I run them and love them..

Thanks for the heads up hoople. So your saying go with what the side of the tire says for pressure?
WAP.gif

Thanks for the heads up hoople. So your saying go with what the side of the tire says for pressure?
WAP.gif

No. The number on the side of the tire is only the max value. Metzler has a book that lists all the load values and tire pressures you need to run. I don't know if you do much 2 up riding, but buy the size tire you want with the highest load rating. Metzler has a number of rear tires that are the same size but with different load ratings.
If you give me the complete tire number, I can post your specs if you need them. There was a thread a while back that was very interesting. If I remember correctly, the guy had a near new Metzler rear tire on his FL. He road two up and had the rear tire separate @ 50 mph. He thought it was the fault of the manufacture. Turns out the guy who sold him the tire(s), sold him one with a undersized load rating (669 lbs) and he ran something like 36 psi because his owners manual said so.

Forget it. Two up (big bone people) on a Bagger under power and you have more than that on the rear tire.

Fortunately the guy was a good rider and somehow stopped the bike with no harm. The guy went nuts when I told him about the required PSI and load rating of his tire that blew. He never got back with the outcome of what the tire seller said.

No. The number on the side of the tire is only the max value. Metzler has a book that lists all the load values and tire pressures you need to run. I don't know if you do much 2 up riding, but buy the size tire you want with the highest load rating. Metzler has a number of rear tires that are the same size but with different load ratings.
If you give me the complete tire number, I can post your specs if you need them. There was a thread a while back that was very interesting. If I remember correctly, the guy had a near new Metzler rear tire on his FL. He road two up and had the rear tire separate @ 50 mph. He thought it was the fault of the manufacture. Turns out the guy who sold him the tire(s), sold him one with a undersized load rating (669 lbs) and he ran something like 36 psi because his owners manual said so.

Forget it. Two up (big bone people) on a Bagger under power and you have more than that on the rear tire.

Fortunately the guy was a good rider and somehow stopped the bike with no harm. The guy went nuts when I told him about the required PSI and load rating of his tire that blew. He never got back with the outcome of what the tire seller said.

How about ME880s MT90B-16? and 150/80H-16?
And I've been running them (the old ones) new ones coming for the season... at the sidewall labled psi.

How about ME880s MT90B-16? and 150/80H-16?
And I've been running them (the old ones) new ones coming for the season... at the sidewall labled psi.

Jim, That is not the complete tire number. There should be 3 more letters/number on the end of the number you posted.

I just have to make a point here. Probably slightly off from the original question.

Why would someone use the owners manual to check specs on something that the bike did not come from the manufacturer with. I.E., what pressure should a Metzler tire be run at. The bikes don't come with a Metz.

I'm not trying to be a wise guy here, but I've seen this a number of times before. Prior to putting Metz's on my bike I not only checked the forum but went to the Metzler site to find out those details.
Want to see what happens when we don't pay attention to details?
This happened at 75 mph. Very lucky rider!

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/...ARKWAY _ SKYLINE DRIVE JUNE 2010/IMG_0001.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 6
Why would someone use the owners manual to check specs on something that the bike did not come from the manufacturer with. I.E., what pressure should a Metzler tire be run at. The bikes don't come with a Metz.

I agree with you 100%. But even after buying the ME880's, I thought the PSI requirements in the book were a type-o. Going from 34,36,38 PSI with the Dunlops and now needing 42,46,48 PSI just did not sound right at all. Even after having the tires for almost a year now, it still feels strange when I put 48 PSI (cold) in the rear tire.

Great info - I checked the Metzeler site and I was running the correct AP. 40 front, 42 rear

While we are talking tires, I am told that Dunlop make a cop tire that is run-flat. But can't find it anywhere. Any ideas? Not going to rush out and buy them, but curious

Ok hoople,
What tire pressure do I need. front me880 is a 90-90-21 MC(54H) and the rear is a 180-55-ZR18 MC(74W). Dont know if rider weight matters, but I weigh 185lbs. And my wife rides occasionally and weighs 105lbs. Thanks for your help!

Back