free website stats program Derby cover screw issue from GTMO | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Derby cover screw issue from GTMO

The 1/4" x 20 tpi worked well for my Softail with chrome allen head.... but I think the 5/8 foot might be a little long Mr "G".... :lolrolling
Ha-Ha tough crowd...:swoon Chrome is good, stainless is better...(less tendency to gall when exposed to water and electrolysis occurs) JMO...being in the military, may have available spare mil-grade fastener hardware there if you are lucky.

Thank you for your service, have a nice Thanksgiving! :D

Ok...
So since I had posted originally I had called an HD dealer the next day in FL and did get the screw size of 1/4 Inch-20 x 5/8 Inch ( Thanks Jack for your reply, you were 5 by 5 with the size and the local store had no anti seize go figure it's on the BARGE which means it may never be replenished here, and Glider once you got the Inch part corrected, hahaha).

-I searched J&P ( Before you posted Jack and that part didn't show the fitment for my FXDC and I'm skeptical with exacts), Dennis Kirk and even the Motorcycle Super Store to name a few and found NADA for exact specs. So I look on Amazon and I find some screws for a quick fix to replace the 1 screw for the time being. Of course the Daggone thing didn't have a washer so I take my little plumber saw and get the washer off the old screw to find out it WILL NOT go over the threads of the new screw! Keep reading, my Luck gets better! HAHAHAHAHAHA.

-I get 'er done and take my test ride...goes great. Back home I detail the Bike and get her looking great and I head back out because I forgot the turn signal bulb for the car. Get the bulbs, jump on the Bike and...NOGO for starting, (EDIT) I say! Sounds like the starter on a car when it goes bye bye? (EDIT) sound coming from the Primary area, OH NO, what did I do wrong??? Simple fluid change, I was second guessing myself at that point. I knew I wasn't that incompetent...right?

-Luckily I was at our 1 local auto place and the mechanic had a voltage tester and a jump kit. Long story short I order and replace the Battery (not the screws through Air sunshine Already had the Air Sunshine option which I knew and Thanks for that reply mtmasean and the heads up about the location at Camp Justice & of course 'Ol Safety Joe HAHAHA). [U]I do realize [U]it could be the VR and I'm going to work that [/U][/U]issue as well for sure. So anyway I get riding again.

-2 days later I hop on, start her up and Oh ya, sounds great and off to work I go ( at least I thought) but why is the bike not rolling backwards out the garage?????? Feels like something wedged under my rear tire so I look down and back... and it's flat...A nice screw in the back tire!!!!!!! So I have mushroom plugs on order to hold me up for my short GTMO rides then I'll address the issue back stateside or probably sooner once I calm down about all this.

*3 times a charm they say and I got 3 hits in less than 30 days. Gotta love Mr. Murphy*

Thanks for all your replies and my apologies for the Novel, I know we all have our problems! You all take care and Ride Safe if the weather isn't keeping you from it!
-PACMAN

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Past two weeks have not been good - Harley Davidson Community

Pacman, glad I was able to help out some or at least give you another option while you're there. The link above is my post from when I returned from GTMO back in June (a little long but all you can do is laugh). I was having your same luck, hopefully, your third time is over and you have some good riding ahead of you. Especially, if they do the fence line ride.

Back