free website stats program Defend your right to loud pipes! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Defend your right to loud pipes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If ya don't like my LOUD pipes, don't listen to them! If you don't like the sound of Harley's, why did you buy one? Honda's are nice and quiet, you should of bought a Gold Wing my friend. putt putt putt...

Oh how I love lively debate on this issue! True, nothing says we are entitled to loud pipes...but, my guess is that Ben Franklin and the boys weren't riding Harleys in their day. With that said, it may have been the equivalent of regulating the method in which they would ride their horses (non-steel types). My guess is that they would have gone crazy had England tried...heck, they went crazy over taxes (another item not in the constitution). During their day, America was alive and free...England thought we were out of control. To ensure we were allowed to continue our quest for freedom, our founding fathers wrote in our right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. To a serious biker, our right to loud pipes fits squarely into that category!
WAP.gif

If ya don't like my LOUD pipes, don't listen to them!

Well, I Must say that's one of the more ridiculous statements I've read in a long time. Some things are unavoidable. If you have a retort, you might want to hurry up. I have a feeling with the direction this thread is heading it may be closed soon.

Loud pipes are ok to a certain point.My true duals are defintely louder than stock but I also ride with respect to others.I like the sound of Harley's as much as the next guy but I don't go flying thru neighborhoods like some do as they pass my house.It is annoying and disrespectful.On another point after riding for about 40 years now(yes I know I'm dating myself) I can't think of 1 life that loud pipes have saved!

We don't even have the "right" to a driver's license, let alone loud pipes.
If I want a drivers license I can study the rules of the road and practice on a learners permit. I can then take a test, both written and driving and in some states a motorcycle endorsement which means another test, both written and riding.

If I don't pass the tests I don't get no stinkin' license!!!!!!!! It isn't a right to be just handed to me.

I also do not have the "right" to have pipes so loud they bother people. Being obnoxiously loud is not a "right". People have the "right" to go about their business without some Peter Fonda wanna-be shattering their eardrums as they ride by. It is offensive to people and often frightens animals and kids. It also helps to continue our reputation of being society's rejects who are capable of only causing trouble and making noise.

Believe it or not, most states have laws that regulate the decibel level of exhaust noise on motorcycles, cars, trucks...whatever. My pipes are not stock, but they are not capable of shattering window glass at 50 feet or activating car alarms, which I understand is a fun sport for the really bored.

The above is just my opinion of course. The world won't change if someone disagrees with me. Another thing that won't change is loud pipes becoming a "right". Driving a car and riding a bike are privileges that can be earned through tests. If you pass your tests and then break the rules, like having loud pipes, you can pay the fine. That's the state's right.:laugh

You make a couple of good points. My father was a biker from many years back and he and his large group of friends are part of Harley's rich history...they are primarily responsible for carrying Harley through the dark economic days (AMF days) and allowed Harley to survive so you could enjoy yours. All the while, he worked for Ford and retired after 30-years...not necessarily a reject. He ran straight drag pipes from his custom show-chopper...and I never witnessed him breaking windows. Most children thought it was cool. How'd the pets do? Yup, most were scared...perhaps there should be a law to keep them in yards anyhow...they poop on lawns and bark. If you don't like the loud pipes. then that's cool, but respect those who do and charge after bigger issues...noisy dogs (far more of them).
WAP.gif

Loud pipes are not the problem, people are the problem. I like loud pipes, but I see all the time people hammering on them when and where they should not. Just so they can get "noticed". If people had respect and common sense when and where to bark the pipes, we would have no issue. So as long as we have stupid people, we will have stupid laws. I have loud pipes but I try to be decent with them when and where I should be. I really don't want to be noticed.:s

Off road atv's and snowmobles are being ban from areas. Motorcycles are being band from some federal and state lands on or off road. More and more restrictive laws are being pass and coming up to be put in to effect.

the groups that managed to ge 3 wheel ATV's band years ago did not care one bit about safety, they wanted the off the land they won your next. i work around some people that belong to this green groups they are nut cases

Where I am from they started calling the state game and fish department the state gate and fence department. Corps od Engineers are just as bad. They can't stand to see anyone having fun. I guess their fun meter broke.....

This country began from a rebellious state. Many of the people living here rebelled by leaving thier countries of origin for various reasons. many of the original bikers began as rebels of sorts. Many MC's began and still are of rebellious individuals.

No one will EVER tell me I can't ride. I switched to loud, not obnoxious, mufflers almost immediately after purchasing my 1st bike in many years. In my experience my awareness of what's around me and my experience of driving professionally most of my life is more important to my safety than loud pipes...but remember I switched to louder mufflers cause I wanted the sound more audible. I know the sound has woken some cagers from thier slumbers, I've seen it.

But we, as bikers, must try to be considerate of others to a point. OK, I'm off my soap box now. Hope everyone enjoys the season, the pipes and the wind in thier faces.

We don't even have the "right" to a driver's license, let alone loud pipes.
If I want a drivers license I can study the rules of the road and practice on a learners permit. I can then take a test, both written and driving and in some states a motorcycle endorsement which means another test, both written and riding.

If I don't pass the tests I don't get no stinkin' license!!!!!!!! It isn't a right to be just handed to me.

I also do not have the "right" to have pipes so loud they bother people. Being obnoxiously loud is not a "right". People have the "right" to go about their business without some Peter Fonda wanna-be shattering their eardrums as they ride by. It is offensive to people and often frightens animals and kids. It also helps to continue our reputation of being society's rejects who are capable of only causing trouble and making noise.

Believe it or not, most states have laws that regulate the decibel level of exhaust noise on motorcycles, cars, trucks...whatever. My pipes are not stock, but they are not capable of shattering window glass at 50 feet or activating car alarms, which I understand is a fun sport for the really bored.

The above is just my opinion of course. The world won't change if someone disagrees with me. Another thing that won't change is loud pipes becoming a "right". Driving a car and riding a bike are privileges that can be earned through tests. If you pass your tests and then break the rules, like having loud pipes, you can pay the fine. That's the state's right.:laugh

Very well stated. I have Vance and Hines on my Ultra; love the sound and they are sort of loud, but not to the "glass breaking" level. Every so often someone will go by me with pipes so loud that it hurts. I guess I don't understand why ear-bleeding sound is appealing to some.

Loud pipes don't save lives in the sense they rescue someone (a method to validate your statement). Think about it...avoided accidents can't be counted as a life saved...how do you count it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back