free website stats program Decel popping | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Decel popping

Yeah,the other forums it seems that if someone asks about wearing a patch there are a thousand replies.Ask a tech question and you can hear the crickets.Have you ever heard of a supplier named "Stockers"?They have a starter for $169,or should I go with J&P for around $200?Gonna start tearing mine out tonight.

I have ordered from Stockers for my wifes Road* about a year ago with good results thus far, I am still trying to get her to "upgrade" to HD... She loves her ride so if she is happy, I am too!

First off I want to thank everybody here who responded,especially glider.I have gotten to the bottom of things and it turns out it is the starter/solenoid after all.I also want to say sorry for the last rant,I was quite frustrated and got a warning from Dr Dolittle about an unacceptable acronym I used,I'll be more careful from now on.I want to tell you guys I had posted this on 2 other HD forums,but this site was the only place I got responses,this place is awesome.Lot of good knowledge right here.

That is why this site is the"BEST on the NET" bar none!!!!!

After you remove the pipes, use a double nut on each stud locked together and heat them up a bit before removing them.

Are you changing the starter drive too?

As for the exhaust flange studs.Do you think I should just leave the old ones in there?It seems there is more of a chance snapping them if I try to take them off.But on the other hand,I'm afraid if I try to torque them they may break.

It depends on the condition of the studs. They generally come out clean and it's a judgement call whether they should be replaced or not from here.

Well the nuts I have cant be used for the extraction since they are skirted and I cant lock them together and get a socket over the outer one so I'll use the new nuts that came with the new studs on the original studs.The old nuts came off easy enough so the rust isnt all that bad,I guess.I'll just be careful torquing them up.I have new gaskets coming so I assume I can use the lower recommended torque value and still get a good seal.Just waiting for the parts to all get here and I'll post back and let you know how it goes.Really appreciate all the help and really fast responses here.

I would use a good anti-seize grease on the exhaust threads, careful then as they torque easier.... and keeps off the rust for a long time.

fin always calls it copper grease...

I always Move the pipes up and around before and while I do the Finish tightening so they are SEATED in the center of the exhaust port,,,Then, before too tight,I correct the direction so they align with the Other bolts.

Just My Way

signed....BUBBIE

.Looks like owning a Harley will make a mechanic out me whether I like it or not.

that, or make you poor paying another guy to do it. better to learn, do it yourself and know its done right. plus if something happens on the road at least you have an idea whats up

I use LOTS of penetrating oil (PB) both coming off AND going back on. Then I go by feel with the nuts on the studs. After a few hundred miles, spray again and snug up some more.

TQ

If you are worried about the nuts coming loose, you can get another for both sides and use them as jam nuts.

TQ

Back