free website stats program Dealer has me worried about my break in | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Dealer has me worried about my break in

Glider,

I looked thru the self help section, but which section has the "new bike break-in" that's being refenced here? Thanks, Tracy

P.S.--I'm pretty happy with the dealership in Greensboro, took my new "Kruzer Kaddy" cup holder back because it didn't mount flush (thought the wife got the wrong one) and they showed me how it mounted (I'm the dufus)... while there, I asked them "how much to wash my bike" (it's filthy) service writer says "you're in here all the time, usually $5, but no charge for you. 20 mins later they bring out my bike and say that the primary chain was a little loose and adjusted it for me while they washed it----no charge. For a dealership, it doesn't get much better than that.

I followed Gliders advice after a 95" install as well as on my 09 Ultra. Last bike ran perfect and strong and used no oil. I expect the same results with this one. When I got on my 09 right off the bat, it smoked like a smoke stack during the procedure. The guy following me said he thought it was messed up as he had no idea I was doing the procedure. No more smoke and no oil used in 2K. Thats all I have on it due to weather.....

Just to add my piece:my bike has only 900 klms on it(maybe 550 or so miles) and it's never seen 5th or 6th gear.It's done no highway or freeway droning yet,just runs up and down my local twisty road with speeds up to 80kph,but mostly 60 kph and 3rd gear,NOT abused or lugged,but worked nicely.

Plus i changed engine and gearbox oils to Mobil synthetics at about 500 to 600klms.I expect no troubles and indeed ran my current Mazda and Triumph in from new the same way.Just excercise some mechanical empathy.:s

Most HD Dealers I have visited over the years seem to keep their technicians away from the customers, even if your at the service counter. This may be to keep them from making comments like this to the customers.

Don't let the dealer bully you. Enjoy your new ride!

An ounce of experience is worth a pound of knowledge.

Always go with what has worked. Glider would not post it here for everyone to use if it wasn't tried and tested.

Can you imagine what would happen if all of what he says or just one thing was wrong? We'd run him off or he'd run all of us off this site. :newsmile07:

Your bike will be fine. Ride On.

Ken

Either way you do it is OK. He suggests no Syn oil on break in but the CVO bikes come from the factory with Syn 3 in them which is a semi synthetic.

As long as you don't baby the engine like the manual suggests, you'll be fine.

From what I understand the engine needs regular oil to cause more friction for the break-in. After that synthetic can be used?

Either dino or synthetic will break in fine. If it were a problem , the MOCO would ship the CVO bikes with dino oil in them.
The procedure is more important than the oil is.
I have changed all my bikes over to synthetic as soon as I got them with no problems with ring seating.

Back